Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Science (OS), Silver Spring, Maryland.
Who May Apply:
Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; PHS Commissioned Corps Officers; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); and individuals with disabilities.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CTP-14-DE-1179446 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
The Closing Date has been extended from 8/18/14 to 8/19/14 due to required system maintenance which will occur on 8/16/14.
Announcement has been amended to allow for paid relocation expenses for applicants outside of the Washington DC Metropolitan Area.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Design and oversee the statistical components of broad and complex research studies aimed at estimating and testing hypotheses.
- Apply mathematical techniques, and perform computerized analyses to determine the adequacy of collected public health data needed to resolve scientific problems, and modify existing techniques and practices to the applicable program.
- Provide consultation and training to professionals inside and outside the Agency, domestically or internationally.
- Recommend to management modifications in the conduct of research and training researchers to introduce new methods and otherwise maintain standards for the application of statistical methods to public health research.
- Serve as a scientist, keeping up with the literature and scientific and statistical developments.