To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of an executive. To be considered for this position, all applicants MUST address each Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQ) and Executive Core Qualification (ECQ) questions listed in a separate narrative document. Your examples should be clear and concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions. For detailed guidance on writing ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp. Failure to meet the basic qualification factors will result in an automatic disqualification.
Do not enter "Refer to Resume" to explain your answer. Applications directing the reader to search within the application or to "See Resume" are considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Failure to submit a narrative statement or address any of the mandatory ECQs and/or PTQs is also considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the ECQs but must address all mandatory PTQs.
- Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
- Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in 1 above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
All applicants will be evaluated to determine the degree to which they possess the mandatory executive core and professional/technical qualifications. To be rated and considered for this position, applicants MUST fully describe their experience in each of the following five (5) Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and in each of the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs). ECQ and PTQ documentation should be attached under "Writing Example One" and "Writing Example Two", respectively. When addressing the ECQ and PTQ requirements, please use the first person as you assess and describe your leadership qualifications. (e.g., [In 2009 I led an organization....] NOT [In 2009 Mr. Doe led an organization...]).
SES Executive Core Qualifications:
ECQ1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
NOTE: Responses to ECQs must not exceed 10 pages typed 12 point font. For more detailed information and samples please see the OPM link http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf
Professional/Technical Core Qualifications (PTQ):
1. Please describe your in-depth experience in the physical sciences related to the provision of forecast and warning services as well as extensive experience in one or more field forecast programs: agriculture, aviation, air pollution, and fire weather.
2. Please describe your experience which demonstrates the analytical skills and abilities involved in the identification and definition of service needs and requirements, the development of objectives, the evaluation of options, and the determination of final courses of action.
3. Please describe your direct experience with a variety of scientific/meteorological techniques and methodologies associated with weather and river forecasting, e.g., data acquisition, analysis, prognosis, project refinements, and dissemination
To preview questions please click here.