About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Serves as the rights and permissions expert for NMAI and independently provides direct support to several units throughout NMAI.
- Attends unit meetings across NMAI to assess the need for multiple-use permissions and provides advice and assistance at the earliest phases of project, exhibition, or program development and identifies any potential problems or issues related to the securing of necessary rights and permissions.
- Researches materials, objects, or topics to determine ownership of copyright and required clearances and corresponds with rights owner(s) or legal representatives concerning copyright and permissions.
- Researches and reviews digital images in NMAIs collections and/or archives as well as images from external sources, making recommendations to the project teams for the inclusion of specific images in exhibitions and public programs based on rights and permissions considerations.
- Develops, updates and maintains computer spreadsheets and databases of activities related to internal and external copyright and permissions including status, purpose, expenditures, approvals, expiration date and procedures for renewal.