NOTE: This position is covered by the bargaining unit.
The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities.
The mission of Haskell Indian Nations University, a land grant institution, is to serve members of federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Native nations as authorized by Congress and in partial fulfillment of treaty and trust obligations. With student learning as its focus, Haskell embraces the principles of sovereignty and self-determination through a culturally based holistic lifelong learning environment that promotes and upholds respect, rights, and responsibility.
The purpose of this position is to assist a higher graded financial specialist in providing accounting and financial management services to Haskell Indian Nations University.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Indian preference eligibles that are not currently employed in the Federal service will be appointed under the Excepted Service Appointment Authority Schedule A, 213.3112(A)(7).
STATUS CANDIDATES: Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants (Status or Reinstatement eligibles) in the absence of a qualified Indian Preference eligible. Applicants not entitled to Indian or Veterans Preference must be Federal civilian employees with competitive status or former Federal civilian employees with reinstatement eligibility and must submit latest Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50B, as proof.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA): Preference eligibles may apply for permanent positions (career or career-conditional appointments) under merit promotion procedures for VEOA appointments; however, veterans preference is not a factor in these appointments. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be a preference eligible OR veteran separated after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Applicants must submit a copy of their DD-214 for verification of eligibility. For more information about this program and to determine whether you are eligible, click here.
FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. The majority of individuals, who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
CAREER SEASONAL POSITION FOR PLACEMENT IN NON PAY STATUS A MINIMUM OF 2 WEEKS PER YEAR.
· Responsible for oversight of all Haskell grant financial activities inclusive of all grants, memoranda of understanding and memoranda of agreements established through the Federal Finance System (FFS).
· Prepare official budget and or financial execution reports as required by each grant.
· Work with each grant principal investigator (PI) to ensure proper accounting activities including establishing and maintaining proper files, completing appropriate records for all expenditures, and maintaining central files on each grant.
· Act as the primary collections agent for Haskell.
· Act as backup to accounts payable clerk.
· Participate in the review and evaluation of the financial system for effectiveness of internal controls and integrity of the organization's financial information.
· Perform research to verify the accuracy of grant accounts.
· Prepare routine straight forward reports and statements that contain timely, accurate and essential financial management information for the Treasury Department, Office of Indian Education, numerous grant funding agencies and the Department of Interior.