About the Agency
The Federal Trade Commission is seeking highly motivated individuals to work in Washington, DC, processing Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act (PA) requests. The Federal Trade Commission receives a wide range of FOIA requests seeking information pertaining to (1) complex antitrust matters including health care, computers, food, chemicals, energy, and defense; (2) consumer protection matters involving, among other things, advertising claims, internet and telemarketing fraud, privacy and data security issues, and financial practices; and (3) personnel matters, legislative matters involving antitrust, consumer protection, or agency practice.
The Office of General Counsel represents the Federal Trade Commission (Commission) in court and providing legal counsel to the Commission, the operating bureaus, and other offices. If selected for this position, you will serve as a Government Information Specialist within the Federal Trade Commissions Office of General Counsels FOIA Unit. The Government Information Specialist processes Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act requests within the Office of General Counsel. This developmental position is being advertised at the GS-09 level, where close supervision and technical guidance and/or on-the-job training are provided until the incumbent reaches the full performance level of GS-11. Duties at the full performance level include:
- Responds orally and in writing to requests for disclosure of information from individuals and public and private entities;
- Provides guidance to Commission Bureaus and offices, other government agencies, members of the public and private sectors on issues involving Commission disclosure policy under the FOIA/PA;
- Responds to inquiries from the public, federal agencies, private organizations and institutions, and Commission Bureau and Offices, including regional offices requesting interpretation of policy and procedures, clarification and advice regarding Commission disclosure policy;
- Assists in developing and revising Commission policies, procedures, guidance, and annual reports which support implementation of the disclosure policy under the FOIA Act;
- Reviews and analyzes requests for disclosure of information from individuals, federal agencies and public and private entities. Recommends release or denial of requested information based on research, technical knowledge of the FOIA/PA and knowledge of the administrative operations by the Commission;
- Manages caseload, researches relevant statutes, reviews agency records, applies applicable exemptions, and prepares memoranda or other documents detailing their response. The incumbent may have frequent contact with senior agency staff, members of the public, the media, and outside law firms;
- Performs legal and other research on a variety of issues surrounding FOIA/PA exemptions, interpretations, and access under these statutes; provides information on the basis of personal knowledge of current cases or search of case records, documents and other references; using reference sources such as legislative histories, statutes, administrative decisions by the Department of Justice, the Comptroller General of the United States or other government agencies, and applicable federal court cases; and
- Assists on a wide variety of other matters involving the agency's practice as assigned.