About the Agency
This position is located in the FTC Privacy Office within the Office of the Chairwoman. If selected for this position you will assist the Chief Privacy Officer (CPO), FTC staff, and contractors in complying with federal privacy laws and related guidance and in developing, implementing, maintaining, and enforcing the FTC's internal policies and procedures regarding the collection, use, sharing, retention, disclosure, and destruction of personally identifiable information (PII) across all FTC programs and activities.
If selected for this position, you will assist the Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) and other Privacy Office personnel by participating in the full range of Privacy Office activities:
- Administering, operating, and communicating with FTC staff and contractors about the FTC’s privacy program, including activities to ensure that the agency’s privacy policies and procedures remain comprehensive and current.
- Working with FTC staff and contractors to develop, implement, and oversee privacy policies, procedures, and compliance across the full range of FTC activities, including but not limited to procurement, implementation of new technology, data collection, website content, and social media.
- Working with FTC staff and contractors to conduct, review, and finalize initial and updated privacy assessments and related documentation (e.g., Privacy Threshold Assessments, Task Solution Documents, Privacy Impact Assessments, Privacy Act system notices).
- Supporting agency risk management functions by working with FTC staff and contractors to develop, review, and finalize privacy components of risk assessments and related documentation for FTC activities.
- Supporting incident identification, notification, and response activities, including training staff and contractors, conducting table-top exercises, responding to questions from staff and contractors, reviewing reports, conducting risk and harm assessments, and participating in the full range of Breach Notification Response Team activities.
- Working closely with FTC’s Office of the Chief Information Officer, including the Chief Information Security Officer and the Cybersecurity Team, on issues at the intersection of privacy, data security, and technology.
- Promoting and maintaining agency knowledge and awareness of current privacy law, policies, and procedures by providing general and role-based privacy orientation, education, and training to employees, contractors, volunteers, students, and international fellows, as well as responding to specific questions and providing follow-up privacy and awareness sessions with individuals and specific FTC components as needed.
- Participating in planning and implementing agency-wide privacy-related activities, including, but not limited to, brown bags and similar informational sessions, meetings with specific components, annual Privacy Weeks and Data Breach Awareness Weeks, and similar activities involving other federal or state agencies or private sector entities.
- Researching and working with FTC staff and contractors on specific privacy projects as assigned to gather facts, conduct research, draw conclusions, and make recommendations. Reporting orally or in writing on the results of such research for possible inclusion in memoranda, briefs, speeches, and similar documents. Information may be sensitive or confidential in nature.