About the Agency
This position is located in Boulder, Colorado and is posted as a ZP-04, equivalent to the GS-13/14 pay scale. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the senior absolute gravity operator within the Observation and Analysis Division of the National Geodetic Survey (NGS), National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. The incumbent will lead field gravity surveys and provide authoritative technical guidance to senior management.
The NGS gravity program includes both absolute and relative gravity measurements in support of the Gravity for Redefinition of the American Vertical Datum (GRAV-D) Project and for other NGS projects, such as the Geoid Slope Validation Surveys. Support of the GRAV-D project involves absolute and relative measurements to provide gravity ties for airborne surveys, and absolute measurements in regions of rapid geologic change, such as glacial isotactic uplift in NE North America. The Geoid Slope Validation Surveys require both absolute and relative surveys to provide sufficient gravity constraints throughout the measurement line to evaluate the local gravity and to provide gravity values for the determination of orthometric heights.
NOTE: This position is also announced under vacancy number NOS-NGS-2014-0021 (MAP), which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary period may be required.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
*This vacancy may be used to fill other Geodesist, ZP-1372-04 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band, requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement.)
The individual selected for this position will:
- Operate absolute gravimeters.
- Help design and execute terrestrial absolute and relative gravity surveys for an organization.
- Perform reconnaissance surveys (establish gravity tie and GPS base station locations).
- Establish and maintain adherence to the best practices standards for conducting absolute relative measurements and surveys.
- Manage and perform the processing and archival of terrestrial gravity data.
- Maintain terrestrial absolute and relative gravity meters. This includes any collaborations and test that can be conducted in-house, and coordination with vendors for regular maintenance.
- 25% or Greater
- Position requires frequent travel in support of operations.