· Serves as Senior Translator for Chinese scientific and technical intelligence (S&TI) and general military intelligence (GMI) classified and open source textual materials from hardcopy and digital sources, and lead translator for the development of semi-automated Chinese-to-English machine translation systems
· Produces English language abstracts and full-text translations from Chinese language documents either on ad hoc or standing requirement basis to support Open Source and all-source intelligence analysis and production; reviews and edits translations produced by junior translators and will be the final authority for the translation of words/phrases and submission into the DLIPS database
· Processes S&TI and GMI textual and digital materials through a high-volume machine translation application known as the Foreign Media Collaboration Framework/Digital Library Input Processing System (FMCF/DLIPS), creating database records and other output results for use by the Air Force (AF), Department of Defense (DoD), Intelligence Community (IC), and other government agencies for analytical purposes
· Operates all facets of the FMCF/DLIPS process including input materials selection, operational processing techniques, post-editing and output quality control; because of the nature of foreign language translation, these duties require the operator to analyze, evaluate, and interpret the words and phrases to determine the correct and accurate meaning within the context of the passages being translated
· Performs Chinese S&TI and GMI language, linguistic and lexical research and development (R&D) particularly related to machine translation enhancement and development, and contributes to the advancement of machine translation systems through development of Chinese-to-English dictionary entries; presents results of R&D to international and national-level forums for the advancement of the science of language processing technologies; provides technical guidance to language contractor efforts.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel Systems (DCIPS) position implemented under Section 504, Title V of Public Law 99-569, Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1987, as codified in Sec 1601, Chap 83 of Title 10 United States Code which sets forth Air Force policies and procedures for DCIPS. This position is in the Excepted Service.
DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
***Salary Ranges shown do not include locality***
This is a GG-13 position in the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). The GG-13 duties for the "Professional" work category are at the "Full Performance" work level and are equivalent to those at the GS-13 level. The selectee's salary will be set within the
grade equivalent to a GS/GG grade based on the selectee's qualifications in relation to the job.
The organizational location of this position is: INFORM EXPLOITA SQ, WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB OH 45433