About the Agency
The FBI must ensure our workforce is fully staffed to continue protecting our nation and combating crime. As a result, the FBI is committed to achieving FY 2014 hiring goals. Effective, May 5, 2014, FBI employees will be precluded from moving to another position within the Bureau by means of promotion, reassignment or change to lower grade unless the new position is career enhancing (Headquarters to Field Offices or Field Offices to Headquarters) or offers a greater promotional potential than the position in which they are currently serving.
Division: Operational Technology Division
Unit: Cryptologic and Electronic Analysis Unit
Location: Quantico, VA
Working Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
GS 13: $89,924.00 - $116,901.00
GS 14: $106,263.00 - $138,136.00
- Analyzes state of-the-art advances in theoretical mathematics (abstract algebra, finite fields, number theory, discrete mathematics, graph theoretic techniques, etc.)
- Applies unique knowledge of mathematical structures and concepts along with knowledge of computational environments to transform mathematical formulations into algorithmic formulations amenable to computer implementation.
- Maintains currency and liaison with external organizations and academia to ensure FBI capabilities in the methodological advances in pure and applied mathematics.
- Formulates and develops official FBI policy and standards in areas requiring mathematical precision and specification.
- Serves as OTD senior research analyst in the applied mathematical science field, with responsibility for the design, development and enhancement.
- Analyzes state-0f-the-art advances in cryptic methodologies (e.g., factoring algorithms, group/field theory, discrete mathematics, advanced computer algorithms and architectures and etc.
- Formulates and develops official FBI policy and standards in areas requiring mathematical underpinnings and formulates policy regarding interfaces between mathematical areas and crypto investigative support.
- Serves as an advisor and authority to key management to provide decision input as the feasibility, utility and cost effectiveness of major technological advances.
- Represents FBI officially and acts as official spokesman in such conferences, meetings, symposia, etc.