Job Title:Accountant (Recent Graduate)
Agency:National Science Foundation
Job Announcement Number:DFM-2014-0022
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, July 22, 2014 to
Wednesday, August 6, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FEW vacancies in the following location(s):|
Arlington, VA View Map
Arlington, VA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Open to any U.S. Citizen who, within the previous two years (for veterans six years), graduated from a qualifying educational institution with an associates, bachelors, masters, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate in Accounting or in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting (the 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law).|
About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of Budget, Finance & Award Management, Division of Financial Management under the Recent Graduate component of the Pathways Program. This opportunity will provide the incumbent with an entry-level developmental experience designed to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government.
PLEASE NOTE: Veterans preference rules will be applied in filling these positions and non-competitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
-Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
-Meet the Office of Personnel Managements qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
-Maintain performance at the Fully Satisfactory level or higher under the agencys performance management system.
-Complete all the requirements of the Program successfully (this includes 40 hours of annual interactive training or any other required training or activities with a mentor that are outlined in the employees Participant Agreement).
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- Recently graduated from a qualifying educational institution.
- Degree must be in Accounting or a related field.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent of this position will serve as an Accountant in the Accounting Operations Branch, Division of Financial Management. The Division is responsible for the development, coordination and direction of financial management policies, programs and operations and for the design and operation of an efficient and effective automated accounting system.
- Provides professional accounting assistance to the assigned area and to other financial managers regarding the accounting function and the application of accounting principles,policies,and procedures.
- Determines corrective action necessary to resolve operational problem conditions.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates incoming source documents; identifies discrepancies and their sources, and prescribes corrective action.
- Examines a variety of documents, records and accounting reports to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting policies, United States Standard General Ledger,new operating procedures, and revised regulations.
- Reviews and analyzes the programs and procedures related to the receiving, controlling, validating, recording, and reporting of accounting transactions that affect the asset, cost, liability, revenue, and proprietary accounts of the customer.
- Participates in decision-making sessions and advises program directors on regulatory requirements, financial policies, and data interpretation.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data in order to detect and identify needed corrective measures and process to improve systems accuracy and utility.
- Analyzes and assesses current and historical financial data for use in improving the accuracy, efficiency, and usefulness of available financial data.
- Responds to questions from customers and subordinates regarding accounting data discrepancies.
- Participates in conferences and meetings with management and operating officials regarding accounting operations and to mutually assess the effectiveness of accounting services provided.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for this position you must have completed all program requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctoral or technical/vocational degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the past 2 years.
Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree (or certification) was completed.
To meet the minimum education requirement for this occupation, all candidates must have completed at least 4 years of college, and hold a 4-year or advanced degree in a field such as business administration, finance, or public administration, that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 semester hours may include up to 6 hours of business law. OR Have a combination of education and experience that includes 4 years experience in accounting or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge.
An applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
To qualify at the GS-9 level, in addition to meeting the basic education requirement described above, you must have one of the following:
- Master`s degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a such a degree that has equipped you to perform the duties of this position; OR
- 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: use of automated accounting systems to find, review or change accounting data in automated files of transactions, ledgers, accounts, and summary reports and financial statements.
Education must be from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation
Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in "Qualifications."
You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire. All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicant qualifications will be assessed based on level of completed education and relevant work experience. Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligibles.
Based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire, you will be assigned a score. Your score will determine in which of three categories you will be placed: Excellent, Very Good, or Good. Under this process, veterans will be assigned to the appropriate category (without additional preference points) and then placed at the top of their category. Veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the highest quality category.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Relocation expenses will not be paid. For additional information on the NSF eRecruit system, please visit our NSF eRecruit Applicant Guide.