In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (CUSTOMER SUPPORT) position, you must meet the following criteria.
Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
Must have at least 36 months experience, education,or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Major study-computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the KSA's listed below. Applicants are encouraged to address the KSA's in their application or resume or by submitting a supplemental statement with their application. Written response to each KSA will ensure that specialized experience criteria is recognized and credited.
1. Knowledge of applying analysis concepts to IT network systems and independent IT platforms, integration methods, performance tuning methods, test and evaluation methods and procedures, IT security principles and methods, and project management principles and methods sufficient to plan and coordinate the installation of new products or equipment.
2. Ability to analyze, apply methods and practices for recovering, adjusting and modifying IT systems to solve complex problems while improving customer support practices that minimizes interruptions in service.
3. Knowledge of network operations, security methods, and network architecture optimization techniques; the capabilities and limitations of the IT systems, infrastructure and software configuration in order to manage the tenant network, carry out network and/or independent platform projects and coordinate efforts with others affected in the organization.
4. Knowledge of systems development, modification, testing, installation, operations, and support concepts as well as the organization's network and infrastructure architecture and protocols to provide support related to: test, evaluation, installation, configuration and modification of hardware and software for operating systems, network platform, interface connectivity; etc.; provision of network services and planning for increased or changed requirements; modifications and integration of network systems and infrastructure consistent with existing or planned infrastructure/architecture; configuration management changes and upgrades; and connectivity between remote sites.
5. Knowledge of the interrelationship of multiple IT systems, utilizing methods, principles, and practices covering restoral from complex computer and infrastructure system failures, recovery of systems, adjusting, modifying, and improving systems to include hardware and software components.
6. Knowledge of methods and practices involved in the integration of system components sufficient to optimize system performance.
7. Knowledge of performance measurement tools, systems testing and diagnostics, COTS products, Internet technologies, analytical methods and practices, requirements analysis techniques in order to: test and optimize the functionality of the systems, networks, and data; provide advice on a wide range of IT issues; ensure optimal use of commercially available products; represent the organization in interactions with other organizations; prepare and present reports; conduct analyses and recommend resolution of difficult issues; identify and define business requirements applied to the development, implementation management and support of systems and networks; etc.
8. Knowledge of IT security principles and products; DOD and agency policies, procedures, regulations, directives, and requirements related to physical, personnel, emanations, and information security; methods for evaluating risk or vulnerability; IT INFOSEC security requirements for certification and accreditation; network operations and protocols; systems testing and evaluation, and performance management methods sufficient to plan and conduct security accreditation reviews for installed systems or networks and assess and advise on new or revised security measures and countermeasures based on the results of accreditation reviews.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Compatible Military Assignments:
3D0X1, 3D0X2, 3D0X3, 3D1X1, 3D1X2, 3D1X3, 3D1X4
YOU MUST ALREADY BE A MEMBER OF THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for your application to be considered, you need to submit the following document:
(Resume must have a from and to date for each position worked in. The date must be month and year. Ex: 02/2012
OF 306 (can be retrieved from http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and eligibility.
All qualified applicants will be forwarded to the selecting official, unless there are more than seven qualified applicants. In this case, the evaluation procedures in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5 will be used to further screen candidates prior to referral. A panel of three members will be appointed to rate the candidates using the KSA factors. Experience will be evaluated in terms of type and quality in relation to the requirements of the position. Length of service or experience will only be used when there is a clear relationship with quality of performance or when necessary to break ties when all other ratings are equal.
Following the determination of basic eligibility of the candidates as outlined in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5, qualified applicants will be referred to the selection official in the following sequence:
1. Category I: All excepted service technicians in the New York Army National Guard for Army technician vacancies and all excepted service technicians in the New York Air National Guard for Air technician vacancies, working at the location specified in the job announcement where the vacancy exists.
2. Category II: All currently employed excepted service technicians in either the New York Army or New York Air National Guard.
3. Category III: Qualified members of the New York National Guard (Army or Air), to include AGR personnel and temporary and Indefinite technicians, or other individuals who are willing to become members of the New York Army or Air National Guard.
* If there are fewer than three qualified applicants in Category I, then qualified applicants from Category II, III will be forwarded to the selection official, in sequential order, to provide at least three qualified applicants.