Job Title:Supervisory Community Planner - GS - 0020 - 15 (Open to Status and VEOA Applicants) - "P" MB
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Federal Railroad Administration
Job Announcement Number:FRA.RPD-2014-0033
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, July 22, 2014 to
Wednesday, August 6, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
If you are NOT a status employee or VEOA eligible, you may wish to apply under announcement FRA.RPD-2014-0034, which is open to all U.S. Citizens.
- Current or former federal employees with status OR
- Veterans eligible under VEOA
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
FRA is committed to fostering a diverse, highly skilled workforce capable of meeting or exceeding our strategic goals with efficiency, innovation, and a constant focus on better serving our customers.
Success in the development of a high-speed intercity passenger rail system has been a driving force behind the expansion of FRAs mission, policies and workforce. Through this effort, FRA is providing leadership for the creation of a more balanced transportation system, transforming the way Americans travel.
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) has major responsibility to implement this vision through passenger and freight rail programs. FRA has critical hiring needs to meet these growing mission requirements and to prepare our partners and stakeholders. Join our growing team and help FRA develop, improve, and deploy high-performance passenger rail and freight service to transform and revitalize our nation's rail system.
This position is located in the Office of the Associate Administrator for Railroad Development, Office of Policy and Planning Analysis, Washington, DC. You will be responsible for serving as the Chief of the National Rail Policy Division and responsible for directing the development of national rail planning, including policy and legislative proposals, budget formulation, sustainability initiatives, and strategic communication to diverse stakeholders.
The ideal candidate for this position is a senior level career professional who is experienced in applying transportation planning principles and practices to complex, multi-state and national transportation programs and has extensive budget formulation experience with rail transportation programs, as well as experience developing and analyzing legislative proposals.
This position is eligible for Ad Hoc telework.
Ad hoc Telework: An employee teleworks on an intermittent basis-- no set schedule of regularly.
- You must be a status candidate and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM ET on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Position eligible for regular/ad hoc telework, see Benefits/Other Info Tab.
- Announcement also advertised to U.S. Citizens: FRA.RPD-2014-0034.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Supervisory Community Planner, you will be required to:
- Serve as the principal advisor to FRA officials on all aspects of national rail planning.Coordinate and manage national rail policy as it applies to project and program development as well as legislative proposals and strategic planning.
- Lead FRAs development and delivery of national rail planning activities, including development of guidance for integrated national, regional, state and local planning efforts, and a holistic approach to passenger and freight planning.
- Coordinate across FRA to ensure integrated, consistent approach to analyzing and recommending national rail policies and legislative proposals, including reauthorization proposals, policy input to the Presidents annual budget submission to Congress, and other Departmental policy proposals.
- Plan and assign work to be accomplished, gives advice and counsel to employees, interviews and selects candidates for Staff positions, makes promotions and reassignments, hears and resolves complaints from employees, effects minor disciplinary actions, identifies developmental and training needs for positions, and finds ways to improve production or increase quality of work.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
For the GS15, to qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Experience leading the advancement, evaluation, and improvement of rail or transit policy, objectives, and plans.
- Experience working with budget formulation processes, including analyzing and interpreting appropriations bills and reports.
- Experience communicating with senior executive and stakeholders to include federal, state, and local officials; to provide guidance, advocate, and represent an organization.
- Experience planning, assigning, and establishing work priorities and deadlines for a staff or contract team.
A. Bachelors Degree: Community planning; or related field such as urban affairs, architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, sociology, geography, economics, political science, or public administration that included at least 12 semester hours in the planning process, socioeconomic and physical elements of planning, urban and regional economic analysis, and development finance.
Note: Applicants with degrees in related fields, such as those listed above, who do not have the 12 semester hours of specified course work must have had at least 1 year of work experience in community planning acquired under the supervision and guidance of a community planner.
B. Combination of education/experience: Courses equivalent to a major in one of the above disciplines, or a combination of related courses totaling at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the above disciplines of which at least 12 semester hours were in the planning process, and socioeconomic and physical elements of planning, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- SUPERVISORY PROBATIONARY PERIOD: New supervisors must complete a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- TIME-IN-GRADE: Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade requirements contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating. Please ensure that your resume and application provide enough detail to support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions. Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your answers to the Vacancy Specific questions, your self-determined rating, resume and supporting documentation are reviewed. If your resume and supporting documents do not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202)366-1298
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
The following documents must
be provided by the closing date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE.
- TRANSCRIPTS: Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series OR an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. The transcripts need not be official.
- SF-50 - Which verifies grade, full performance level of position, and eligibility for consideration as a status applicant. An award SF-50 is not appropriate.
- DD214 - Verifying military service and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS - Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the following: (1) your most recent performance appraisal, (2) the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and (3) your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.