NOTE: This position is covered by the bargaining unit.
The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities.
The mission of Haskell Indian Nations University, a land grant institution, is to serve members of federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Native nations as authorized by Congress and in partial fulfillment of treaty and trust obligations. With student learning as its focus, Haskell embraces the principles of sovereignty and self-determination through a culturally based holistic lifelong learning environment that promotes and upholds respect, rights, and responsibility.
As an Instructor of English, you will teach undergraduate courses in English and other courses appropriate to the field. The incumbent may be tasked to conduct other specialty related projects that supports the educational needs of Haskell. Classes taught will be composed of American Indian and Alaskan Native students from numerous tribes with diverse backgrounds and traditions representing this countrys Indian nations.
NOTE: POSITION IS ALSO BEING ADVERTISED UNDER MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER BIE-MP2-14/14 (1169653) STATUS APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH MERIT PROMOTION AND COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES MUST SUBMIT A SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR EACH ANNOUNCEMENT.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Indian preference eligibles that are not currently employed in the Federal service will be appointed under the Excepted Service Appointment Authority Schedule A, 213.3112(A)(7).
CAREER SEASONAL POSITION FOR PLACEMENT IN NON PAY STATUS A MINIMUM OF 2 WEEKS PER YEAR.
As an Instructor of English, you will serve as a faculty team member. Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Planning classroom instruction by developing, annually updated, and maintain course syllabi aligned with instructional and professional standards. Develops interdisciplinary instructional materials through a team approach with other faculty members.
· Learning and utilizing an awareness of the unique background of students with American Indian and Alaska Native heritage to incorporate related native materials or perspectives into instruction where appropriate.
· Developing criteria for testing, assignments, and other instruments to evaluate student proficiency; administering tests, written assignments and other evaluative materials on a regular basis; and advising students concerning their progress to meet course objectives.
· Conducting class room learning activities, including but not limited to lectures, activities and exercises, audio-visual media, technology, field trips and exchange, group discussions, and other appropriate measures to stimulate student attention and interest.
· Representing Haskell at professional conferences, workshops and seminars. Serving as a faculty advisor for students and on faculty committees. Proposing and administering grants that support students and/or university programs.