About the Agency
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. Consistently ranked by its employees as one of the top federal agencies in managing its workforce, NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the federal and scientific arenas for its work in promoting science, technology, education and management best practices. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery! More about NSF.
This position is located in the Administrative Systems Branch, or Research Directorate Systems Branch, or External Systems Branch, Division of Information Systems, Office of Information and Resource Management. If you are interested in working in a dynamic, fast- paced, and innovative IT work environment (conveniently located in the heart of Ballston) for a top-ranked federal agency, look no further. The National Science Foundation (NSF), a major source of federally-funded basic research, is committed to the advancement of science, innovation, and discovery, helping to move the nation's science and engineering research efforts into new frontiers. NSF's Office of Information and Resource Management/Division of Information Systems (DIS), as a leader in e-business and cutting-edge technology, delivers a comprehensive suite of customer-enabling technologies and tools to more than 250,000 scientists, educators, technology experts, and administrators conducting business with the National Science Foundation (NSF) to facilitate research, grant, and financial management business processes.
The National Science Foundation (NSF) Division of Information Systems (DIS) is seeking an Information Technology (IT) Project Manager in our Applications Service Area. As an IT Project Manager, your duties include:
- Applying knowledge of IT systems, methods and practices to support initiation and planning, requirements, design, development, testing, deployment, and closeout processes related to the implementation and integration of custom and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Business Applications; Develops metrics, critical success factors and key indicators to monitor and assess results in Business Applications;
- Determining the appropriate software development methodology based on the product concept.
- Understanding existing and emerging technologies and their applicability in the software implementation environment [e.g., vendor or open source, Service Oriented Architectures (SOA)].
- Adopting and applying systems engineering perspectives and processes to software development.
- Knowing and considering available off-the-shelf software to make build or buy decisions.
- Monitoring software configuration changes to anticipate and address the impact of data reliability and customer satisfaction issues.
- Working knowledge of Data Warehouse and SharePoint solutions.
- Developing and managing the scope of a project (e.g., project objectives, team, tasks, defining milestones and deliverables, timelines, hours, costs, developing plans and schedules, estimating resource requirements, monitoring activities, activity prioritization, system integration).
- Developing metrics, standards of performance, critical success factors and key indicators to monitor and assess results.
- Developing risk strategies to eliminate or reduce, overcome, or compensate for an organizations exposure to liability.
- Considering stakeholder needs when recommending appropriate Web technologies including the Organizations strategic vision.
- Assessing delivery strategies, Web technologies, oversight, and organizational implications for Web-based development, taking into consideration web technology in relation to privacy standards and Federal regulations.
- Transitioning from legacy client-server applications to one of the pre-defined Web solutions.
- Performing in-depth studies and analyses to determine technological impact resulting from adoption of new technologies and solutions, initiating necessary corrective actions to integrate the new solution;
- Leading and conducting prototyping and proof of concept activities, establishing reusable templates and solution components.