The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located at the Shiprock Service Unit, Northern Navajo Medical Center, Division of Clinical Services, Iina' Counseling Services department, Shiprock, New Mexico. The primary purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive and skilled psychological evaluations and treatment services to individuals, couples, groups or individuals, and families receiving services for problems of personality, emotional adjustments, or mental illness of a primary nature of secondary to organic illness. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Psychologist.
- Administers, scores, interprets psychological tests of children and adolescents and as time permits, adults.
- Provides assessment, diagnosis and psychotherapy utilizing a broad range of therapeutic techniques as indicated by the specific needs of juvenile individuals and groups, and their families.
- Participates as a full time member of the Mental Health Program team in formulating patient treatment plans and treatment recommendations through contribution of psychological and personality assessments and diagnostic evaluations, and knowledge of treatment modalities.
- Provides thorough and concise written documention of evaluations, treatment and case management services, psychological test summaries, treatment plans, referrals, and correspondence.
- Performs regular utilization review with facilities outside of IHS providing clinical services to IHS beneficiaries.