Job Title: Administrative OfficerJob Announcement Number: DE-14-BNY-JC-150
Department: Department Of Labor
Agency: Employment and Training Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, July 17, 2014 to
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
U.S. Citizens; ICTAP and CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area.
Also advertised as job #MS-14-BNY-ETA-149 for status applicants; to be considered for EACH, apply to BOTH.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
About the Agency
DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
This position is located in the Employment and Training Administration, Office of Job Corps (ETA/JC), Boston Regional Office. The Regional Office has responsibility for the operation, recruitment and management of Job Corps Centers in a six state area.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-9 level.
This positions is outside the bargaining unit.
- Occasional Travel
- 25% or less
- U.S. Citizenship - must be at least 16 years of age.
- Appointment to this position will require a background investigation.
- Requires a probationary period if the requirement has not been met.
- Travel and relocation expenses will not be authorized.
DUTIES:Back to top
- Attends formal and informal management meetings and is responsible for providing guidance to the Regional Director on matters of personnel management, utilization of personnel including such areas as position management, employee development, and workforce utilization.
- Assists management in preparing position descriptions and advising on appropriate classifications and necessary time frames needed to fill vacancies.
- Maintains an organizationally arranged log of approved Regional Office positions, including vacancies and the individuals assigned to encumbered positions.
- Assists the RD in space and property management activities, performing annual property management inventory and maintaining appropriate property accountability.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants MUST have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level in the Federal Service.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience:
- Duties that provided experience and knowledge of management principles, practices, methods, and functions, including the ability to analyze and evaluate data, and draw conclusions;
- Experience providing knowledge of federal budget and fiscal programs, office automation and use of various software programs in order to carry out daily responsibilities;
- Administrative or Management Assistant, or technical support positions that demonstrates experience similar to the duties of the position (providing assistance to managers and employees on basic pay, overtime or leave entitlement questions or problems);
- Advising managers on various types of appointments and their appropriate application; providing information to employees on benefit programs options and coverage;
- Advising managers and employees about relatively common issues or problems such as routine leave or attendance;
- Conducting training needs surveys and analyzing the information and data obtained in order to anticipate development and training needs.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE:
One full year of graduate level education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement. To qualify for Superior Academic Achievement you MUST have completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND meet one of the following criteria:Class standing-You MUST be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, i.e, the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses. Grade-point average (GPA)-You have a grade-point average of: a. 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or b. 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society-You have membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed in the Association of College Honor Societies: Booklet of Information (1992-95) and/or Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1991).
COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT AND EVALUATION OF FOREIGN EDUCATION - The Department of Labor does not recognize academic degrees from secondary schools or post-secondary institutions not accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education. Any applicant falsely claiming an academic degree from an accredited school will be subject to actions ranging from disqualification from federal employment to removal. If your education was completed at a foreign college or university, you MUST show comparability to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S.Click Evaluation of Foreign Education for more information.
Applicants MUST meet all legal and regulatory requirements. Please reference the "Required Documents" section for additional requirements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be evaluated against the evaluation factors below and will be placed into a category based on your vacancy question responses.
Category A - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy and has successful experience in the same or similar job that has demonstrated superior proficiency in applying the critical competencies required by this position to work of increased levels of difficulty and complexity.
Category B - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy and demonstrates satisfactory proficiency in the critical competencies by this position.
Category C - Meets the specialized experience described in the minimum qualifications requirements section of this announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the basic competencies.
Evaluation Factors (Competencies) - All qualified applicants will be evaluated on the following key competencies:
Oral communication/Interpersonal Skills Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information.
Personnel and Manpower Management Uses knowledge that is acquired through formal training or extensive on-the-job experience to perform one's job; works with, understands and evaluates technical information related to the job; advises on technical issues.
Written Communication Recognizes or uses correct English grammar, punctuation and spelling; communicates information in a succinct and organized manner; produces written information, which may include technical material that is appropriate for the intended audience.
Self-Management Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner.
Property Management Manages property and equipment by performing annual property inventory; maintains appropriate property accountability.
The information you provide may be verified by a review of your work experience and/or education, by checking references and through other means (ex. interview). Your evaluation may also include a review by an HR Specialist or panel and may include other assessment tools (ex. interview, structured interview, written test, work sample, etc). The examining Human Resources Office (HRO) makes the final determination concerning applicant ratings. Your resume MUST provide sufficient information to substantiate your vacancy question responses. If not, the HRO may amend your responses to more accurately reflect the level of competency indicated by the content of your resume.
INFORMATION FOR ICTAP ELIGIBLES ONLY: If you meet the eligibility requirements for special priority selection under ICTAP, you MUST be "well-qualified." ICTAP eligibles will be considered "well-qualified" if they are placed into Category B or higher. Be sure to review DOL Account Eligibility Questions #23 and 26 to reflect that you are applying as an ICTAP eligible and submit supporting documentation
Click Application of Veterans Preference for Category Rating Jobs for more information.
To preview questions please click here.