The incumbent serves as a psychologist at the Northern Arizona Veterans Administration Health Care System (NAVAHCS) in the Domiciliary, in Prescott, Arizona under the Mental Health & Behavioral Sciences Service (MHBS) service line. The incumbent is an essential member of the Treatment Team. This is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary program directed toward assisting Veterans with mental illness and substance abuse and related conditions and their families. The Psychologist uses a harm reduction approach, recovery model and evidence based practices approach to assist substance abusing Veterans, assess their individual needs, and coordinate appropriate services. The psychologist provides a full range of psycho-diagnostic assessment, therapeutic and psycho-educational interventions as well as consultative services to Veterans from all military conflicts who manifest symptoms of Substance Use Disorder (SUD), other disorders and conditions.
The incumbent provides approxiametly 70% direct patient care as a psychologist and approxiamtely 30% non-direct activities, including research, intern supervision/training, and administrative services including participating in staff meetings, data management and program development.
The incumbent performs the following duties:
- Performs or arranges diagnostic/psychometric assessments
- Conducts initial assessments of patients
- Establishes and maintains therapeutic relationships with patients
- Provides and monitors services to patients
- Locates and makes referrals to appropriate treatment/rehabilitation resources
- Provides consultation regarding patient problems
- Provides education and clinical guidance to staff
- Assesses and coordinates with providers within MHBS
- Performs outreach activities
- Accurately and timely completes patient care documentation
- Researches literature
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM; Monday - Friday
This is a bargaining unit position.
Relocation expenses have been authorized for this position.