In order to qualify for this position, you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience includes experience that demonstrates knowledge in organizing, classifying, indexing, storing, manipulating, and retrieving information normally gained through a Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS), and knowledge of basic formats for electronic documents (PDF, TIFF, GIF, JPEG) as well as communication software sufficient to assist outside users with network connectivity issues.
The ideal candidate for this position has:
1. Knowledge of the theories, objectives, principles and techniques of library science as evidenced by experience working in a scientific and technical library. Knowledge of information management as well as basic information management principles and tools.
2. Demonstrated experience working with an integrated library system, such as Ex Libris Voyager, and spreadsheets, or any software used to track inventories or statistics.
3. Demonstrated ability for working with a variety of users in a public information service setting; including but not limited to: answering reference questions, identifying sources and supplying information; providing instruction in use of resources to users, and monitoring information systems for accessibility and validity.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, while providing reference and online literature searching service, and in preparing procedures manuals, library brochures, feature articles or users' aids and in communicating with library vendors.
5. Knowledge of the activities associated with the organization of materials in the areas of any science or technology for a library, information center, or office, in particular, engineering, materials science, physics, or nuclear science.
To qualify at the GS-9 level, you must have completed 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or master's in library science or equivalent graduate degree, e.g., LL.B. or J.D., related to the position.
To qualify at the GS-11 level, you must have completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education in library science or doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) related to the position.
You must meet the qualifications for this position by no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement and before placement in the position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
When the application process is complete, your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the job requirements. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to any vacancy questions to determine your level of knowledge, skill and ability related to the job requirements. If you are among the top candidates for this position, your application will be referred to the hiring manager.
Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position.
To preview questions please click here.