Department: Legislative Branch
Agency: Library of Congress
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
Washington DC, DC View Map
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) seeks a Research Manager for the Congress and Judiciary Section in the Government and Finance (G&F) Division. CRS provides confidential, nonpartisan, and authoritative legislative research, policy analysis, and information service to the U.S. Congress. Working directly with Members of Congress and congressional committees on public policy issues, CRS staff contribute to an informed national legislature as it considers policy issues of importance to the American people.
The Research Manager leads the Congress and Judiciary Section in the development of policy research and analysis relevant to congressional needs. Issues covered by the section include, but are not limited to, the administration and organization of Congress and the Judiciary, legislative branch appropriations, and judicial nominations. Background or foundational knowledge in legislative process and procedure is an essential part of the work of G&F research managers.
- Ensuring that the work results in objective, authoritative analysis with which the Congress can assess the consequences of legislative/policy options;
- Proactively establishing relationships with committees of jurisdiction, building long-term relationships with clients, and taking initiative to seek out new congressional contacts for CRS;
- Managing congressional requests, concerns, and needs in policy areas within the research management responsibility of the section;
- Collaborating with other managers to ensure an integrative approach to the work by fully identifying significant policy problems facing the Congress, developing analytical approaches to address these problems, and applying appropriate resources;
- Managing and supervising policy analysts, including communicating performance standards and expectations to staff, observing staff performance, giving feedback, and assessing performance; and
- Performing special assignments as directed by the Assistant/Deputy Assistant Director.
- See QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED below.