Job Title:Program Specialist (Recent Graduate)
Agency:National Science Foundation
Job Announcement Number:BIO-2014-0009
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, July 11, 2014 to
Friday, July 25, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FEW vacancies in the following location:|
Arlington, VA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Open to any U.S. Citizen who, within the previous two years, graduated from a qualifying educational institution with an associates, bachelors, masters, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate, except for veterans, who have up to six years after graduation to apply. The ideal candidate would be a recent graduate from an accredited college or university with a major in biology and an interest in biology research programs and processes.|
About the Agency
This position is located in the Biological Sciences Directorate under the Recent Graduate component of the Pathways Program. This opportunity will provide the incumbent with an entry-level developmental experience designed to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. The incumbent will work closely on a daily basis with Biology Directorate Program Directors involved in managing biology research programs and processes.
PLEASE NOTE: Veteran’s preference rules will be applied in filling these positions and non-competitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
-Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
-Meet the Office of Personnel Management’s qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
-Maintain performance at the “Fully Satisfactory” level or higher under the agency’s performance management system.
-Complete all the requirements of the Program successfully (this includes 40 hours of annual interactive training or any other required training or activities with a mentor that are outlined in the employee’s Participant Agreement).
- You must be a U.S. citizen
- Recently graduated from a qualifying educational institution.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent of this position is involved in providing program support in the following functions:
• Data Management and Analysis: Gathers data for analysis and information sharing (e.g., queries or formats data), conducts moderately complex quantitative analyses; gathers, analyzes, and presents data for program analysis, conducts moderately complex qualitative analysis; uses research trends and results tracking to inform policy related to proposal processing.
• Database and Systems Support: Troubleshoots systems and provides system support for basic proposal processing systems and applications, provides internal customer support on Business Systems (e.g., assist in training on e-systems), and interfaces and coordinates with ITS in DIS on various issues (e.g., request advanced systems support, provide contact information updates)
• Logistics: Prepares for Committee of Visitors (COV) (e.g., collects data, coordinates logistics), coordinates logical support and assists in providing materials needed for site visits, outreach activities and workshops.
• Proposals: Redacts panel reviews/summaries (non-scientific), identifies conflicts of interest (COI), responds to correspondence and telephone calls regarding proposal policies and systems, orients new Program Directors and staff on proposal processing systems and processes. Reviews preliminary and full proposals to determine basic eligibility and makes recommendations to Program Directors.
• Budget Support: Creates and monitors budget (e.g., program) spreadsheets, reconciles budget spreadsheets for Program Directors, conducts financial analyses for Program budget and orients new Program Directors on Program budget spreadsheets..
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for this position you must have completed all program requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctoral or technical/vocational degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the past 2 years.
Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree (or certification) was completed.
- To qualify at the GS-5 level, you must have 1 year of full-time experience at the GS-4 level OR successfully completed 4 full years of education above the high school level (e.g., going into your 5th year of college or graduated with a Bachelor's degree and enrolled in a Master's program.
- To qualify at the GS-7 level, you must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: collecting data and evaluating information, reviewing budget data to monitor expenditures, and assisting with database queries OR successfully completed 1 full academic year of graduate level education OR have eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor's degree.
A combination of education and experience can also be used to qualify for all levels.
Education must be from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation
Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in "Qualifications."
You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire. All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicant qualifications will be assessed based on level of completed education and relevant work experience. Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligibles.
Based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire, you will be assigned a score. Your score will determine in which of three categories you will be placed: Excellent, Very Good, or Good. Under this process, veterans will be assigned to the appropriate category (without additional preference points) and then placed at the top of their category. Veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the highest quality category.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
To preview questions please click here.