About the Agency
This position is located in the Biological Sciences Directorate under the Recent Graduate component of the Pathways Program. This opportunity will provide the incumbent with an entry-level developmental experience designed to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. The incumbent will work closely on a daily basis with Biology Directorate Program Directors involved in managing biology research programs and processes.
PLEASE NOTE: Veteran’s preference rules will be applied in filling these positions and non-competitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
-Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
-Meet the Office of Personnel Management’s qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
-Maintain performance at the “Fully Satisfactory” level or higher under the agency’s performance management system.
-Complete all the requirements of the Program successfully (this includes 40 hours of annual interactive training or any other required training or activities with a mentor that are outlined in the employee’s Participant Agreement).
The incumbent of this position is involved in providing program support in the following functions:
• Data Management and Analysis: Gathers data for analysis and information sharing (e.g., queries or formats data), conducts moderately complex quantitative analyses; gathers, analyzes, and presents data for program analysis, conducts moderately complex qualitative analysis; uses research trends and results tracking to inform policy related to proposal processing.
• Database and Systems Support: Troubleshoots systems and provides system support for basic proposal processing systems and applications, provides internal customer support on Business Systems (e.g., assist in training on e-systems), and interfaces and coordinates with ITS in DIS on various issues (e.g., request advanced systems support, provide contact information updates)
• Logistics: Prepares for Committee of Visitors (COV) (e.g., collects data, coordinates logistics), coordinates logical support and assists in providing materials needed for site visits, outreach activities and workshops.
• Proposals: Redacts panel reviews/summaries (non-scientific), identifies conflicts of interest (COI), responds to correspondence and telephone calls regarding proposal policies and systems, orients new Program Directors and staff on proposal processing systems and processes. Reviews preliminary and full proposals to determine basic eligibility and makes recommendations to Program Directors.
• Budget Support: Creates and monitors budget (e.g., program) spreadsheets, reconciles budget spreadsheets for Program Directors, conducts financial analyses for Program budget and orients new Program Directors on Program budget spreadsheets..