Are you interested in a rewarding and challenging career? Join the U.S. Department of Justice!
The Department of Justice (DOJ) leads the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. As a Justice employee you'll be a member of a team where you can achieve your career goals and apply your skills and talents to our important mission.
This position is located in the External Affairs Division under the Management Services Directorate (MSD), Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS), U.S. Department of Justice. The COPS Office is the office of the U.S. Department of Justice that advances the practice of community policing in America's state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies. The COPS Office does it work principally by sharing information and making grants to police departments around the United States.
vacancy is also being advertised under Merit Promotion procedures as
The incumbent serves as the Senior Public Affairs Specialist responsible for planning, designing, and executing comprehensive nationwide media campaigns to convey information concerning the COPS Office and its programs to interested audiences. The incumbent reports to the Assistant Director for External Affairs.
At the GS-14 level, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops and executes media relations plans to disseminate information about COPS and its programs. Works closely with the Assistant Director for External Affairs to formulate an annual communications plan for the COPS Office that encompasses all mediums and fits into the overall External Affairs Division strategy, and develops and implements a monthly media plan to execute the communications plan.
- Strategizes, develops, and writes all manner of informational and public affairs materials, including speeches, statements, press releases, media advisories, talking points, background memos, op-eds, and letters to the editor, designed to inform the media, grantees, other organizations, and the public about the mission, resources, and accomplishments of the COPS Office.
- Develops and employs distribution strategies to ensure timely and effective delivery. Plans and organizes press conferences; radio, television, and internet feeds; photography sessions, and other types of media events.
- Presents information to media representatives, public affairs officials, grantees, COPS staff and management, and other DOJ components in a clear, concise, well-organized, and professional manner.
- Represents the COPS Office at a variety of external engagements and events, responds to both routine and complex inquiries from a wide range of intergovernmental groups and media representatives, and hosts informational meetings with local law enforcement and other public officials.
- Plans and tracks external engagements and events, including (but not limited to) conference participation, booth exhibition, grant announcements, outreach events, seminars, workshops, and other opportunities for COPS leadership.
- Coordinates closely with the Assistant Director for External Affairs and COPS leadership for such events, including managing advance preparations for the event venue, executing the event schedule, providing logistical support, arranging speaking opportunities, organizing supplemental meetings, and quickly resolving problems while on-site during each event.
- Occasional Travel
- If appointed to this position travel will be required.