For consideration, applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for attorney positions:
• Successful completion a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the America Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD) (Law School transcript required)
•Currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
It is your responsibility to provide adequate proof that you meet the above requirements(education and bar membership). Inadequate or illegible information could result in non-qualification and loss of consideration.
Bar Membership: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to.
- Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. If selected you may be subject to a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI) and a credit report inquiry.
- May be subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary or trial period.
- You must submit a written statement, in your cover letter or in a separate document, explaining your interest in working for USDA’s Office of the General Counsel, and noting any relevant course work, training, or prior experience that you believe should be considered in evaluating your application.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Attorney positions are in the excepted service, not the competitive civil service. There is no formal rating system for applying veterans’ preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service.
However, if you are eligible for veterans’ preference in hiring, you are encouraged to include that information in your application along with the supporting documentation, e.g., SF-15, DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, Proof of Bar Membership or other supporting documentation.
You will be evaluated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by the education, experience, and training you described in your application package, as well as the responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies listed below:
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of legal analysis and practice.
- Thorough knowledge of activities and program initiatives of USDA and its agencies.
- Thorough knowledge of the content, application, and effects of the laws, court and administrative decisions, regulations, policies and procedures that are administered or applied by USDA and its agencies, as well as agency activities involving legal issues.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of written and oral communication.
We will review your application, including the online Occupational Questionnaire, to ensure you meet the job requirements and assess your ability to perform this job. Before any certificate can be issued to the selecting official, the resume and supporting documents are reviewed by an HR Specialist to ensure that (a) minimum qualification requirements are met and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your answers will be verified against information provided in your online resume and application. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To view the application form, visit: https://sec.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=6665f74f-ad13-43ce-bb75-a36300dc5966