MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Basic Entry Requirements for All Grade Levels:
BAND LEVEL REQUIREMENTS:MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
- Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below.EXPERIENCE: BAND-II (GS-7):
You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the Band-I (GS-05) level. Examples of specialized experience for positions in the 0510 Accountant series are: Preparing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting accounting data; Operating, maintaining, and modifying accounting systems; Using accounting information to recommend solutions to management problems and structuring of organization programs; Managing, operating, and analyzing cost accounting systems in connection with manufacturing or other business activities; Designing, implementing, and assessing internal control processes and systems.EDUCATION:
1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement.BAND-III (GS-11):
You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the BAND-II (GS-09) level. Examples of specialized experience for positions in the 0510 Accountant series are: Preparing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting accounting data; Operating, maintaining, and modifying accounting systems; Using accounting information to recommend solutions to management problems and structuring of organization programs; Managing, operating, and analyzing cost accounting systems in connection with manufacturing or other business activities; Designing, implementing, and assessing internal control processes and systems.EDUCATION:
You must have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Any required investigations and clearances must be completed before the selectee can be placed in the position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation (transcripts, if applicable) to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire that you completed as part of the application and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "gold," "silver," and "bronze.” However, your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the occupational questions, or your score will be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold) for all positions except for Professional and Scientific positions at the grade 9/ band II and above.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
KSA 1 - Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards.
KSA 2 - Knowledge of the preparation and analysis of financial statements.
KSA 3 - Ability to apply economic accounting concepts.
KSA 4 - Ability to communicate technical information verbally and in writing.
KSA 5 - Ability to multitask.
KSA 6 - Ability to research company financial information on the internet and in databases and analyze company financial statements.
To preview questions please click here.