Job Title: Staff Assistant (OA) - GS - 0303 - 08 (Open to U.S. Citizens) BPJob Announcement Number: FHWA.HOP-2014-0015
Department: Department Of Transportation
Agency: Federal Highway Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, July 4, 2014 to
Friday, August 15, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
This job is also being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: FHWA.HOP-2014-0014.
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
You will serve as Staff Assistant to the Director of the Office of Freight Management and Operations and provide administrative and secretarial support for the Office Director and the Office's service-oriented Teams. As staff assistant, you will be responsible for assisting the Office Director in ensuring the work of the Office and Teams is coordinated, deadlines are met, and the finished products reflect established standards and appropriate clearances. You will also work on a wide variety of special projects for the Office Director.
The ideal candidate for this position is experienced and has extensive knowledge and experience in procurement administration, records and information management, and other administrative functions (e.g. setting up meetings, arrange travel, distribute information, route actions, refer calls, etc.).
- Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Position is telework eligible.
- Announcement also advertised merit promotion: FHWA.HOP-2014-0014.
- Job announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
DUTIES:Back to top
The Staff Assistant (OA):
- Provides administrative assistance to the Office of Freight Management and Operations, exhibiting substantive knowledge of administrative functions, procedures and responsibilities.
- Identifies problem areas and makes recommendations as necessary to improve office efficiency.
- Is fully conversant with Office of Freight Management and Operations programmatic functions and effectively and efficiently routes incoming correspondence (e.g., email, regular mail, faxes) to the appropriate staff member.
- Stays abreast of office supplies and other equipment needs and proactively orders and stocks needed items.
- Coordinates the routine administrative work of the Office of Freight Management and Operations with the other Offices in the Office of Operations (HOP), ensuring that HOP deadlines are met.
- Works in a team environment and maintains a positive working environment with administrative support staff of the other Office of Operations Offices to ensure complete administrative support/coverage for the Office of Operations.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the specialized experience requirements.
To qualify for the GS-08, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Experience providing advisory services to staff members on administrative and procedural guidance, assisting with implementation of office policies, operations and practices; AND
- Experience utilizing automation systems (i.e. travel,correspondence, time and attendance systems) AND advanced functions of software packages to edit, reformat, and produce a wide variety of documents in various formats such as graphics and tables.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- TYPING: You must possess a typing speed of at least 40 words per minute with three (3) or fewer errors.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET) at (202) 366-1298. You may also email us at Transjobs@dot.gov.
- To begin, click the "Apply Online" button on the job announcement posting.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
The following documents must be provided by the closing date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME: Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming compensably disabled preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#AppointmentsLeading Noncompetitive Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx military spouse NC appointments or http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp" Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: - Only required if requesting priority consideration under https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf</A>. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. To receive priority consideration, you MUST be deemed well qualified for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into USAJobs.com. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. The most highly qualified candidates in the top group will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you directly. Once the position is filled, we will notify all applicants of their final status.