Job Title:Interdisciplinary: Supervisory General Engineer/Physical Scientist
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:DOE-NETL-14-DE-042
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, July 7, 2014 to
Friday, July 18, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|This is a full-time position. -
This is a permanent position.|
|1 vacancy in the following location(s):|
Pittsburgh, PA View Map
Morgantown, WV View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens|
This position is also advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, vacancy # DOE-NETL-14-MP-042.
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
A successful candidate in this position will serve as the Division Director for the Performance Division in the Office of Program Performance and Benefits, Strategic Center for Coal. Responsibilities include supervising employees that perform studies of fossil energy conversion systems and competing or alternative systems in support of the U.S. Department of Energy's goal to ensure that our nation can continue to rely on clean, affordable energy from our domestic energy resources. System studies assess advanced technology components, including comparison of their potential cost and performance to that of state-of-the-art alternatives and identification of process conditions and performance targets to guide associated research and development.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required for this position and may include travel between all NETL locations.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
- May be required to complete 1 year supervisory probation period.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Supervisory General Engineer or Physical Scientist, you will:
- Supervise a staff of professional engineers and scientists in accordance with Federal regulations and DOE directives to provide subordinates with leadership and direction to support the Division in meeting its mission, goals and objectives.
- Create and regularly update a Division fiscal year work plan (including program/project budgets, contracting strategies and personnel assignments) by proactively identifying customer needs and monitoring and coordinating Division projects.
- Oversees the activities of private contractors providing a variety of technical support.
- Applies skills in process and cost engineering to conduct and/or oversee evaluations of the advanced technologies in NETL’s RD&D portfolio.
- Assures that the quality of Division products is satisfactory by providing feedback on draft reports and meeting with stakeholders to assess the adequacy of the work to meet their needs.
- Facilitates transfer of knowledge products to stakeholders through multiple mediums.
- Interfaces with other NETL technical staff and management officials and works in collaboration with DOE laboratories and/or other external organizations to ensure effective exchange of current information and analytical results pertinent to evaluating energy conversion and utilization technology.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Experience performing technical evaluations of advanced energy conversion technologies; and
- Experience leading interdisciplinary teams for high profile projects within an R&D or similar organization.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Ability to supervise a sizable group of professional employees including evaluating performance to ensure compliance with meeting program goals and report on program accomplishments.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform all human resource management responsibilities and support equal employment opportunity programs and objectives and labor relations activities.
- Ability to initiate, formulate, and implement work plans (including budgets, contracting strategies and personnel assignments) that provide the analytical products fundamental to the successful and effective operation of NETL.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering and related scientific disciplines to formulate, develop and coordinate a complex portfolio of analytical projects that assist internal and external stakeholders in guiding RD&D programs and informing policy decisions.
- Knowledge of scientific and engineering theories, concepts and practices related to the field of energy conversion plant design and evaluation, including thermodynamic and cost estimating and economic analysis methods, for expert assessment of novel energy technologies.
- Ability to evaluate and critique complex analytical products pertaining to the technical, environmental and cost performance of energy technologies to ensure that such products meet internal, academic, and/or industry standards for quality and transparency.
- Skill in written and oral presentation to present complex technical problems in a form appropriate for audiences of varying composition.
- Ability to lead interdisciplinary teams and facilitate coordination with management and other high profile customers or stakeholders within a functional organization.
Education requirements can be viewed at OPM's website—Professional Engineering; General Physical Sciences.
There are certain educational requirements that must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
If selected for this vacancy, you may be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Financial Disclosure Statement).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- Return to USAJOBS and log in.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Now" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed to the application where you can make changes or you can click "Withdraw Application" to delete your application.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.