About the Agency
The mission of the U.S. Department of Commerce is to help American businesses thrive, creating jobs here at home while being competitive abroad. Our programs touch the daily lives of the American people in many ways, with a wide range of responsibilities in the areas of trade, economic development, technology, entrepreneurship and business development, environmental stewardship, and statistical research and analysis.
The Office of Europe, the Middle East & Africa in the International Trade Administration’s (ITA) Global Markets unit is looking for an energetic, innovative team-oriented trade professional who will enjoy working in a dynamic and mission driven organization as a member of our staff. The ideal candidate will have professional experience in international economic relations, trade and investment policy issues, as well as in practical business considerations facing United States companies operating in foreign markets. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with United States international relations with countries of Western and Northern Europe and European Union institutions and regulations. The successful applicant will support efforts to improve the global business environment and help U.S. companies and industries compete at home and abroad. These challenges will reward an applicant who can apply creative thinking, exercise personal initiative and leadership, and demonstrate a commitment to personal and organizational excellence, in the service of United States Government policies, the competitive position of United States industry and the strength of the United States economy. The incumbent will serve as the Team Lead for the Western and Northern Europe unit comprised of a staff of 4 international trade specialists.
This position is located in the Office of European Country Affairs within the Office Europe, the Middle East & Africa within the Global Markets Unit of the International Trade Administration. Global Markets assists and advocates for U.S. businesses in international markets to foster U.S. economic prosperity. Utilizing our network of trade promotion and policy professionals located in over 70 countries and 100 U.S. locations, Global Markets promotes U.S. exports, especially among small and medium-sized enterprises; advances and protects U.S. commercial interests overseas; and attracts inward investment into the United States.
This vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures under vacancy announcement# ITA-TPFCS-2014-0064.
The individual selected for this position will:
1) Produce concise, precisely articulated background and briefing materials as well as persuasive recommendations for senior Department officials regarding issues and policies bearing on U.S. market access and trade/economic relations with countries in the Western and Northern Europe region;
2) Develop and advocate Office recommendations for Bureau and Departmental positions on U.S. policies regarding the region;
3) Maintain office familiarity with trade, investment and other economic/commercial policies and developments in the Western and Northern Europe region;
4) Plan and carry out meetings, official visits and other contacts involving U.S. and foreign government and private sector contacts to advance U.S. market access and other commercial policy interests in the region; and
5) Represent and advise the Deputy Assistant Secretary, Assistant Secretary and other higher-level ITA and Department of Commerce officials on matters pertaining to market access, trade promotion, business development and export and investment opportunities for U.S. companies in the region.
- Occasional Travel
- Must be available for domestic and foreign travel.