About the Agency
The mission of the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) is to protect America's natural resources for future generations, provide access to our nation's natural and cultural heritage, offer recreational opportunities, honor its trust responsibilities to American Indians and Alaska Natives, conduct scientific research, provide wise stewardship of energy and mineral resources, and conserve and protect fish and wildlife.
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office within the Department of the Interior whose mission is to promote excellence, integrity, and accountability throughout DOI. The OIG conducts investigations, evaluations, and audits in order to enhance effectiveness and efficiency and to prevent and detect waste, fraud, and mismanagement in DOI programs and operations.
The position is assigned to the Director, Strategy Management Office. The incumbent serves as a strategy program analyst providing analytic, project management, and technical support for the development, periodic refresh, implementation, assessment, and communication of OIG strategy. He/she provides direct support to and interacts on a regular basis with executives, OIG managers, and others throughout the organization to help ensure that the strategic priorities executives identified drive operational decisions. He/she works independently with high level executives in the organization, with management, and with peers.
The incumbent works with SMO staff and OIG executives to identify ways to enhance, implement, assess, and communicate OIG strategy. Provides subject matter expertise on strategy to the organization to ensure it is equipped with the necessary strategic performance management skills, processes, and tools to influence change, improve performance, achieve OIG goals and objectives, and successfully implement the strategy and monitor performance.
The responsibilities involve a range of activities, including:
- undertaking and leading special, complex projects that impact the entire organization and help to implement OIG executive’s strategic priorities;
- gathering, analyzing, and presenting information on organizational activities and performance relative to OIG strategy and executive priorities;
- gathering, analyzing, and sharing up to the executive level information on internal activities to facilitate coordination and on external events to respond to potential impacts on OIG operations or work products;
- identifying areas for internal improvement and making recommendations on how to approach the improvement efforts;
- using Sharepoint to track and report vast amounts of key information that informs strategic decision making; and
- leading or assisting with the development, administration, and reporting of the OIG all-employee survey.
The position requires working independently but collaboratively with others outside the work unit.
- Occasional Travel
- Less than 10%