Job Title:Hydrologist, GS-1315-05 (EM-PRG)
Department:Department Of The Interior
Job Announcement Number:PAC-2014-0601
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, July 1, 2014 to
Tuesday, July 8, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Pathways Recent Graduate Appointment, -
|FEW vacancies -
Oklahoma City, OK View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All qualified U.S. citizens that meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Recent Graduate Program as described below.|
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that’s part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation shall have a 2-year period of eligibility to apply that begins from the date of release or discharge from active duty; however, the veteran’s eligibility period cannot extend beyond 6 years from the date of graduation.
- The Presidential Executive Order for the Pathways Programs was signed 12/27/2010 but the final regulations weren’t issued until 7/10/2012. Because of this delay, individuals who graduated between 12/27/2010 and 7/10/2012 will be eligible to apply under the Recent Graduates Program through 7/10/2014.
- Occasional Travel
- Overnight travel of 1-4 nights may be required.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The duration of the Recent Graduates appointment is a trial period.
- Selectee must provide a valid drivers license and safe driving record.
- Selectee subject to the satisfactory completion of a medical exam.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Hydrologist within the Oklahoma Water Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Perform routine field water-quality measurements such as water temperature, specific conductance, pH, dissolved oxygen and alkalinity.
- Use well defined methods and procedures, processes samples and performs limited field or lab analysis of sample constituents.
- Prepares and ships samples for lab analyses.
- Prepare summaries and basic data reports of field activities, including the preparation of materials for publication, such as tables of data, map, and other illustrative material.
- Perform installation, maintenance, servicing, and troubleshooting of sensing, recording, and communications equipment and instrumentation.
- Calibrate meters and analytical equipment using appropriate techniques and protocols.
The U.S. Geological Survey has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster. For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/quals/1315.html.
Basic Education Requirement for all grades:
Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Hydrologist, all grade levels.
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in physical or natural science, or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours or the equivalent in any combination of courses in hydrology, the physical sciences, geophysics, chemistry, engineering science, soils, mathematics, aquatic biology, atmospheric science, meteorology, geology, oceanography, or the management or conservation of water resources. The course work must have included at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in calculus (including both differential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in physics.
B. A combination of education and experience-course work as shown in "A" above (30 semester hours or the equivalent in any combination of courses as specified in "A" above which must include at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in calculus (including both differential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in physics), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
Note: There is no specialized experience for GS-1315-05.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- You are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned, grade received, and the date that the degree/certificate was conferred, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- The Recent Graduate Program lasts for 1 year. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduate Program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating:
You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality group (i.e., Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified). These responses must be substantiated by the resume. Veterans’ preference rules apply. As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies:
To preview questions please click here.
- Collect Scientific Data
- Compute/Analyze Data
- Scientific Instrumentation
- Written Communications
- Infrastructure Maintenance