In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Element: Ability to do the work of a Machine Tool Operator, WG-3414-09 without
more than normal supervision. Applicants must meet this screen out
element to be considered further. Applicants need to document experience
Operating a variety of machine tools such as:
conventional drilling machines, auto-feed peck drills, drill presses, and
lathes to accomplish the modification, conversion, and upgrade of heavy mobile
equipment; Upgrading vehicles to the
latest configurations and changes to accommodate safety and survivability
issues; Setting up machines, obtains materials and tooling, and notes machine
tolerances by using blueprints, work orders, and other instructions; Performing
repairs for a variety of parts; Identifying dislocated, missing, or damaged
holes in the hulls of vehicles; Identifying wear and damage to vehicle
components i.e., bogie and idler pads, brackets, clamps, and braces; Performing
repairs on these items by drilling and tapping holes, replacing inserts, and
straightening or replacing brackets.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Skill in the use of various types of machine tools
- Knowledge of the proper set-up procedures
- Ability to read blueprints
- Ability to assess minor damage
The work requires prolonged standing on concrete floors; and considerable
bending, stooping, and reaching during work operations. Items weighing
approximately 50 pounds are frequently handled and the employee may be required
to move and handle even heavier items. Lifting devices and other workers are
available to assist the employee when heavier items are to be moved or handled.
The employee predominately works in areas having high noise levels and is
frequently exposed to dirt and smoke. The employee is subject to injury from
flying metal and abrasive particles and may come in contacts with hot metals,
coolants, degreasing chemicals, and sealing chemicals. Danger to the employee
also comes from exposure to rotating work pieces, moving tools, grinding
wheels, etc. The employee must wear the appropriate safety equipment and
utilize appropriate safety devices to accomplish the work.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- PCS is not authorized.
- This position may require shift work.
- This position may require a Pre-Employment
- The position requires the incumbent to obtain
and maintain a NACI, personnel background investigation check for the duration
that the position is held.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.