Basic Requirements for GS-0601- Epidemiologist:
Have successfully completed a full four-year course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with a major study in an academic field related to health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement for Epidemiologist, GS-0601-11/12/13 you must meet the following:
A. Have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service, assisting in analyzing, evaluating and advising scientific and program specialists on epidemiologic issues; reviewing, evaluating, and synthesizing epidemiologic evidence; assisting in the collection, analysis and interpretation of scientific data as a part of epidemiologic studies; and making presentations and responding to inquiries.
B. Have a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree that is directly related to Health Sciences or Allied Sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
C. Have a combination of experience as described in "A" above and education as described in "B" above.
A. Have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service, analyzing, evaluating and advising scientific and program specialists on epidemiologic issues; reviewing, evaluating, and synthesizing epidemiologic evidence; collecting, analyzing and interpreting scientific data as a part of epidemiologic studies, and making presentations and responding to inquiries.
A. Have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service, analyzing, evaluating and advising scientific and program specialists on epidemiologic issues; critically reviewing, evaluating, and synthesizing epidemiologic evidence; collecting, analyzing and interpreting complex scientific data as a part of epidemiologic studies; and making presentations, responding to inquiries, and writing reports.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required: No
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: No
7. Mobility agreement required: No
8. Moving expenses authorized: May be authorized
9. Immunization required: No
10. Relocation Incentive authorized: May be authorized
11. Recruitment Incentive authorized: May be authorized
12. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: May be authorized
13. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: May be authorized
14. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
15. Please be advised that this position (at the GS-12/13) will be subject to FDAs strict prohibited financial interest regulation and therefore, may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are strongly advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the FDA hiring official before accepting this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
Best Qualified Applicants who have experience that is almost identical to those required by the position, including any quality ranking factors identified.
Well Qualified Applicants who have experience that is very similar to those required by the position.
Qualified Applicants who meet minimum qualification requirements, but do not identify any additional qualifying experience or skill.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Compentencies/KSAs.
1. Technical Knowledge - Epidemiology
2. Planning and Evaluation
4. Oral Communication