In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this CHAPLAIN position, you must meet the following criteria.
- Candidates must have a baccalaureate degree (not less than 120 semester hours) and must have successfully completed three years of resident graduate study in theology or related subjects (Master of Divinity), or 72 semester hours (leading to an ecclesiastical certification as a member of the clergy) from an approved seminary or graduate school.
- Candidates must complete the (Army) Chaplain Officer Basic Course or the (Air Force) Chaplain Orientation Course.
- Candidates must be ordained by a religious faith group or denomination that is recognized by the Department of Defense Armed Forces Chaplain Board; be educationally qualified for appointment as a chaplain; meet physical standards; and be otherwise qualified to serve ascommissioned officers. Applicants mustbe commissioned prior to age 40 or be less than age 42 with at least 2 years ofprior military service.
GS-11/12: Must have at least 36 months experience, education or training that included progressively responsible work in a professional program of spiritual welfare and religious guidance which demonstrates or provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential for successful performance of the position. The majorfunctional areas that comprise the total range of chaplaincy work are (1) the religious ministry, (2) administration, (3) training, and (4) research.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the KSA's listed below. Applicants are encouraged to address the KSA's in their application or resume or by submitting a supplemental statement with their application. Written response to each KSA will ensure that specialized experience criteria is recognized and credited.
1. Ability to coordinate training for supervisory, managerial, and staff personnel in quality of life programs such as Suicide Prevention, Intervention, Post-Intervention, Workplace Violence Awareness and Critical Incident Management.
2. Ability to coordinate chaplain quality of life programs (e.g. marriage enrichment retreats, post-combat recovery and reintegration, family reunion briefing, stress management briefings, etc.) to National Guard personnel and their families.
3. Ability to provide and/or coordinate religious support to National Guard personnel and their families as needed such as religious rites, sacraments and observances. Coordinates as necessary with other Chaplain Service personnel and/or civilian clergy to ensure the free exercise of religion.
4. Ability to provide and/or coordinate religious support to National Guard personnel and their families as needed such as religious services (worship, special events, prayer breakfast, weddings, funerals, memorial services, etc.).
5. Ability to provide and/or coordinate religious support to National Guard personnel and their families as needed such as crisis responder(death/casualty notification, casualty affairs officer assistance, mass causality events, suicides, etc.).
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Compatible Military Assignments:
APPLICANT MUST ALREADY BE A MEMBER OF THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for your application to be considered, you need to submit the following document:
· RESUME (Resume must have a from and to date for each position worked in.
The date must be month and year. Ex: 02/2012 to 03/2013)
OF 306 (can be retrieved from http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and eligibility.
All qualified applicants will be forwarded to the selecting official, unless there are more than seven qualified applicants. In this case, the evaluation procedures in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5 will be used to further screen candidates prior to referral. A panel of three members will be appointed to rate the candidates using the KSA factors. Experience will be evaluated in terms of type and quality in relation to the requirements of the position. Length of service or experience will only be used when there is a clear relationship with quality of performance or when necessary to break ties when all other ratings are equal.
Following the determination of basic eligibility of the candidates as outlined in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5, qualified applicants will be referred to the selection official in the following sequence:
1. Category I: All excepted service technicians in the New York Army National Guard for Army technician vacancies and all excepted service technicians in the New York Air National Guard for Air technician vacancies, working at the location specified in the job announcement where the vacancy exists.
2. Category II: All currently employed excepted service technicians in either the New York Army or New York Air National Guard.
3. Category III: Qualified members of the New York National Guard (Army or Air), to include AGR personnel and temporary and Indefinite technicians, or other individuals who are willing to become members of the New York Army or Air National Guard.
* If there are fewer than three qualified applicants in Category I, then qualified applicants from Category II, III will be forwarded to the selection official, in sequential order, to provide at least three qualified applicants.