Job Title: Student Trainee (Contracting) (1199)Job Announcement Number: 1402052ABOTR
Department: General Services Administration
Agency: Public Buildings Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, June 30, 2014 to
Monday, July 14, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Excepted Appointment may be converted to a term or permanent position.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current GSA Pathway Interns and GSA Veterans employed in Region 2, PBS, Occupational Series 1199, eligible for promotion in the Excepted Service working in the New York, NY commuting area.
About the Agency
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
This position is in the Excepted Appointment and may be converted to a term or permanent position in the Competitive Service upon successful completion of educational requirements and management approval
(Full growth potential of this position is to the GS-12).
As a Student Trainee (Contracting), you will use a basic foundation of contracting knowledge to perform limited technical work of the organization.
This position is located in GSA, Public Buildings Service, Acquisition Management Division, Operations Branch B, 2PQBC. This office is responsible for satisfying the acquisition needs of government agencies located in New York, New Jersey & Puerto Rico.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
This position is being announced under the Pathways Student Internship Program. This program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Additional information about the Internship Program can be found at http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/program/interns/
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
- Signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- Current GSA employees in the Pathways Intern Program.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-1199-05 salary range starts at $35,662.00 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
In order to qualify at the GS-05 level, you must possess one of the following:
- Completion of 4 academic years of post-high school study leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree. OR
- Completion of at least three years of progressively responsible work experience, one year of which is equivalent to at least the GS-4 level in the Federal service.
- Possess a combination of post high school education from an accredited college or university and appropriate experience that together meet the qualification requirements of this position.
Student trainee work experience is defined as analyzing problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Pathways Program Completion and Conversion eligibility qualifications:
- At management's discretion, Interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program.
- To be eligible for conversion, Interns must:
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements
- Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Intern will be converted
- Meet agency-specific requirements as specified in the Participant's Agreement, and
- Perform their job successfully.
Qualifying educational institutions/programs for Pathways include: a high school/GED whose curriculum has been approved by a state or local governing body, or a home-school curriculum; and any accredited technical or vocational school, 2-or 4-year college or university, a graduate or professional school, or a post-secondary home-school curriculum. NOTE: Applicants may refer to the U.S. Department of Education’s Institutional Accreditation System to determine whether their school/program is accredited: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx.
A post-secondary certificate program must have been completed at a qualifying educational institution equivalent to at least 1 academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. If you received a degree abroad, contact the agency to which you are applying for guidance regarding having your degree reviewed by a U.S.-based credential evaluation service.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve probationary period/trial period for the entire duration of the internship appointment.
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- Provide a copy of up-to-date transcripts (unofficial) at the end of each academic year for verification of enrollment and academic standing as proof of continuing eligibility for participation in the Intern Program.
- Sign an agreement between GSA, the student and educational institution that will identify agreed-upon schedule of school and work to ensure work responsibilities do not interfere with academic performance.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self-assessment vacancy questions will be used to assign a numerical score. If your responses to the vacancy questions are not supported by your resume then your score may be adjusted lower by the Human Resources Specialist. Scores are not augmented by Veteran's preference points for this type of announcement; however, Veterans Preference applies among internal GSA R2 Pathways Interns eligible for promotion due to meeting all educational, eligibility and qualification requirements for this position.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Bargaining Unit status: None
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
GSA does not accept applications or application materials submitted with Government-paid postage.
If you are selected for this position at a grade lower than the full performance level, you may be promoted up to that grade level without further competition in accordance with all applicable regulations. However, promotions are not guaranteed and are dependent on performance.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. A description of the online process is provided below. For more information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. Once you have completed this step, select "Apply for this Position Now!"
- Complete your personal information within GSAjobs. Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information. This information is used to determine your eligibility to apply for this position so be sure that it is up to date.
- Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.
- Submit any required documents. A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Review the Required Documents section of this announcement to determine which apply to you. You may choose one of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload; USAJOBS, or FAX. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- Respond to any Additional Assessment Questions. If you are presented with additional assessment questions, be sure to respond to them or you may not be considered.
- Click the "FINISH' button. Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to complete and submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Proof of Student Status:
Applicants must provide documentation of student status. Such documentation may be a photocopy of a school transcript, official documentation of registration, tuition bill, or, if a new student, a copy of the acceptance letter from the college or university. If selected, an official copy will be required prior to appointment.Veterans
: In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. Active Duty Military Personnel
- In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.College Transcripts:
You MUST submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If selected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements and to determine eligibility for appointment under the Pathways Program. Qualified applicants will be referred by veteran's preference category.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!