Job Title:Supervisory Contract Specialist
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Hiring Organization:Office of Science - Oak Ridge
Job Announcement Number:DOE-14-ORO-EJ-4359
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, June 27, 2014 to
Tuesday, August 5, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Oak Ridge, TN View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Current Federal Employees only|
USAJOBS is currently down for maintenance. Therefore, the closing date for this vacancy announcement has been extended to August 5, 2014.
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
A successful candidate in this position will serve as the Assistant Manager for Procurement and Contracts, planning, directing, and implementing the acqusition and financial assistance activities.
This is an excepted service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. DOE employees who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded "fallback rights" to a pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and random testing after appointment.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As the Assistant Manager for Procurement and Contracts, you will:
- Execute contracts and financial assistance awards on behalf of the government within delegated authority,
- Participate, as a member of senior management, in the development of local procedures and standards,
- Furnish advice to customers on matters pertaining to contract and financial assistance policies and procedures,
- Serve as Source Evaluation Board Chair for sensitive, critical, and/or high dollar value procurements,
- Direct Oak Ridge Office small and minority business programs,
- Serve as the permanent Chair of the ORO Contract and Financial Assistance Review Board, and
- Manage the Office of Procurement and Contracts, including providing the full range of supervisory functions for the staff.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Basic Education Requirements for GS-13 and Above
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of all mandatory training prescribed by the head of the agency for progression to GS-13 or higher level contracting positions, including at least 4-years experience in contracting or related positions. At least 1 year of that experience must have been specialized experience at or equivalent to work at the next lower level of the position, and must have provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the work of the position.
- A 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
- Exceptions: Employees in GS-1102 positions will be considered to have met the standard for positions they occupy on January 1, 2000. This also applies to positions at the same grade in the same agency or other agencies if the specialized experience requirements are met. However, they will have to meet the basic requirements and specialized experience requirements in order to qualify for promotion to a higher grade, unless granted a waiver under Paragraph D.
- Waiver: When filling a specific vacant position, the senior procurement executive of the selecting agency, at his or her discretion, may waive any or all of the requirements of Paragraphs A and B above if the senior procurement executive certifies that the applicant possesses significant potential for advancement to levels of greater responsibility and authority, based on demonstrated analytical and decision making capabilities, job performance, and qualifying experience. With respect to each waiver granted under this Paragraph D, the senior procurement executive must document for the record the basis of the waiver. If an individual is placed in a position in an agency on the basis of a waiver, the agency may later reassign that individual to another position at the same grade within that agency without additional waiver action.
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Experience applying laws, regulations, and business policies and practices applicable to procurement and contracting,
- Experience accomplishing the mission and vision of a large professional organization through implementation of results-oriented management and leadership techniques, and
- Experience serving as the primary point of contact to represent a large, professional organization, both orally and in writing, to corporate executives, stakeholders, partners, and other government entities.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR
- Knowledge of procurement and contracting laws, regulations, and business policies.
- Skill in applying organizational leadership and management techniques.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
: Per the OPM qualification standard for 1102 positions at the GS-13 level and above, applicants must have completed all mandatory training prescribed by the head of the agency for progression to GS-13 or higher level contracting positions. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) requires applicants to be Level III certified in the DOE Acquisition Career Management Program or equivalent contracting certification program with a Federal agency (such as Federal Acquisition Certification-Contracting, or FAC-C) to be eligible for placement into an EJ-IV contracting position. You must demonstrate you meet this requirement to receive consideration for this position. You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Selection for this position may require you to disclose information about your financial holdings and/or interests in order to assure no conflicts of interest exist.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements. If you meet the qualifications requirements and are found to be among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. NEED HELP?
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Current Federal employees: Most recent Standard Form (SF) 50. To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show: position title and type, occupational series, grade, and tenure. This is a blank sample SF-50 and should not be submitted with your application!
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
- Selective Placement Factor: Applicants must submit proof of contracting certification as described in the vacancy announcement.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.