Job Title: Realty SpecialistJob Announcement Number: 1401022DWDE
Department: General Services Administration
Agency: Public Buildings Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, June 24, 2014 to
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
FEW vacancies in the following location(s):
Boston, MA View Map
Boston, MA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a Realty Specialist, you will be performing the full range of acquisition and management and disposal work for complex realty transactions.
This position is located in the New England Region, Public Buildings Service, Leasings Division-1PRL, Boston, Massachusetts.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
At this time we are only filling two vacancies, however additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed.
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1401021DDMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
- Occasional Travel
- Work is often performed in an office setting except during field inspections and market surveys. Incumbent is required to travel and therefore, must have a valid driver's license or be able to perform work by using other forms of transportation.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
You will perform the full range of acquisition and management and disposal work for complex realty transactions. Perform market surveys, market rent analyses and building inspections; prepare request for lease proposals, perform cost and price analyses, financial evaluation of offers, lease documents and required accompanying documentation for real estate transactions. Negotiate lease terms and conditions, make final award determinations, verifies the existence of necessary approvals for funding availability and awards and executes leases. Prepare and maintain current acquisition plans and strategies. Prepare and review required legal documentation to support acquisition determinations in accordance with federal procedures and policies.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-11 salary range starts at $63,386 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. To qualify you must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience includes the following kinds of realty functions: short-term planning, leasing, receiving space and facility needs requests, conducting site surveys, performing cost analysis, reconfiguring space, leasing new space, developing solicitations for offers, conducting market surveys, monitoring lease expiration actions and termination notices OR a Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree or successfully completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.M, if related or have a combination of graduate level education and appropriate related experience that together meet the qualification rerquirements of this position.
The GS-12 salary range starts at $75,974 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. To qualify for GS-12 you must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience performing the full range of real estate programs related to the leasing of real property, efficient space utilization and management, development of interagency memoranda of agreement, and financial management including in-depth knowledge of systems software used to monitor space inventory data and utilization.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on length and level of experience. Therefore, in addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours per week if part time. Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a “Declaration of Federal Employment” (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Must meet the minimum entry age requirements prescribed by OPM. See information at OPM's website: Qualifications Policy.
- Have a current, valid State driver's license because this position requires that you operate a Government-owned or leased motor vehicle or be able to perform work by using other forms of transportation.
- You may be required to participate in the Region's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP), representing the Service and/or GSA as a whole. This may involved participating in COOP meetings and planning activities; performing mission-critical work at a designated location other than the traditional GSA office site (which may be outside of the commuting area); and ensuring that GSA's needs are still being met in the event of an emergency, disaster or otherwise unforseen circumstance disrupting traditional office operations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self-assessment vacancy questions will be used to assign a numerical score. If your responses to the vacancy questions are not supported by your resume then your score may be adjusted lower by the Human Resources Specialist. Scores are not augmented by Veteran’s preference points for this type of announcement (Merit Promotion).
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:(1)Knowledge of a wide range of real estate principles, concepts and practices as well as a good understanding of the real estate market conditions and industry standards to acquire space and/or oversee broker handled realty actions(2)Knowledge of procurement policy, regulations and procedures and applicable Federal statues and Executive Orders with regard to real estate acquisition and contracting(3)Knowledge of project management principles, methods or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating and managing projects and integrating resources and regulatory program requirement(4)Knowledge of financial management principles in order to administer assigned leased and federally owned real estate projects(5)Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing(6)Skill in providing excellent customer service(7)Knowledge of systems software used to monitor space inventory data and utilization(8)Knowledge of leasing, researching the rental market to identify options and establish pricing
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Bargaining Unit status: AFGE
GSA does not accept applications or application materials submitted with Government-paid postage.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
If you are selected for this position at a grade lower than the full performance level, you may be promoted up to that grade level without further competition in accordance with all applicable regulations. However, promotions are not guaranteed and are dependent on performance.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Physical Demands: Work within the office is sedentary in nature; however, during field inspections and market surveys, you may be required to climb ladders, walk numerous flights of stairs, carry heavy objects and work in unheated or un-air-conditioned and unfinished buildings. You may be exposed to slippery or uneven ground, falling objects, environmental or other construction hazards when work is performed in undeveloped property or space under construction. In certain instances where a disaster has occurred, you may be required to work in extremely uncomfortable environments to satisfy the space needs of emergency response agencies.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. A description of the online process is provided below. For more information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. Once you have completed this step, select "Apply for this Position Now!"
- Complete your personal information within GSAjobs. Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information. This information is used to determine your eligibility to apply for this position so be sure that it is up to date.
- Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.
- Submit any required documents. A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Review the Required Documents section of this announcement to determine which apply to you. You may choose one of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload; USAJOBS, or FAX. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- Respond to any Additional Assessment Questions. If you are presented with additional assessment questions, be sure to respond to them or you may not be considered.
- Click the "FINISH' button. Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to complete and submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles
: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.Veterans
: In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 that shows the dates of your active duty service. If selected, a DD-214 showing your type of discharge (member 4 copy) will be required prior to appointment. If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. Active Duty Military Personnel
- In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. This document must include rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge.College Transcripts:
Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.FAILURE TO SUBMIT A COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT(S) MAY RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!