Job Title: Building Management SpecialistJob Announcement Number: 1410056KCDE
Department: General Services Administration
Agency: Public Buildings Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, June 24, 2014 to
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
1 vacancy in the following location:
Richland, WA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a Building Management Specialist, you will serve as Assistant Building Manager and provide occupants of Federal Government buildings with safe, secure, clean, and sustainable facilities in which to conduct agency business. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving customer and client agency satisfaction with building services, maintaining and preserving the real property assets, maintaining or lowering operational costs, and ensuring the provision of quality facility-related services. This position is located in the Public Buildings Service, Eastern Service Center, in Richland, Washington.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
At this time we are only filling one vacancy, however additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed.
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1410055KCMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-11 salary range starts at $57,982 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level of Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience assisting in the management of large office buildings or large office complexes including improving customer and client agency satisfaction with building services; assisting in negotiation of service contracts and lease provisions; preparing service contracts; assisting in development of maintenance programs; evaluating and monitoring building operations, maintenance, repair, custodial, recycling, environmental management and alterations, etc. to ensure compliance with agency requirements and industry standards; assisting with budget formulation and execution; and conducting inspections of designated space or facilities. You may also qualify if you have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or have successfully completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.M., if related; or if you possess a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that together meet the qualification requirements of this position.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on length and level of experience. Therefore, in addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours per week if part time. Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background investigation and receive a favorable adjudication (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of a wide range of building management principles, concepts and practices to operate, maintain and manage real property assets.
- Knowledge of building operations and maintenance of major systems and equipment such as HVAC, controls, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, roofing, structural, elevators, and renewable energy systems.
- Knowledge of property management and safety issues required to plan and manage the operation of buildings.
- Skills in interpersonal relations and in written and oral communications.
- Knowledge of customer relations and conflict resolution sufficient to develop and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction in the buildings managed.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative techniques and statistical interpretation required to perform extensive coordination and fact-finding.
- Ability required to plan, schedule, and balance all technical aspects of multiple tenant requirements.
- Knowledge of the Randolph-Sheppard Act/concessions program and corresponding regulations, responsibilities and requirements of individual state agencies, and local and federal health and sanitation codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of business policies, processes, and initiatives related to property management and trends in facility management technology (i.e., data management and associated performance measures; customer relationship management and communication protocols; budget formulation and execution processes; project management process; use of BAS, CAD/CIFM, BIM, advanced metering, CMMS and other data and technology tools).
- Ability to integrate knowledge of legal, engineering, architecture, fire and life safety, physical security, food service, finance, asset preservation, HVAC, environment, cost estimation, contracting, and lease management so that buildings are operated in a manner that conforms to technical requirements and responds to client needs.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Bargaining Unit status: AFGE
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. A description of the online process is provided below. For more information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. Once you have completed this step, select "Apply for this Position Now!"
- Complete your personal information within GSAjobs. Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information. This information is used to determine your eligibility to apply for this position so be sure that it is up to date.
- Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.
- Submit any required documents. A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Review the Required Documents section of this announcement to determine which apply to you. You may choose one of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload; USAJOBS, or FAX. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- Respond to any Additional Assessment Questions. If you are presented with additional assessment questions, be sure to respond to them or you may not be considered.
- Click the "FINISH' button. Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to complete and submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles
: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.Veterans
: In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 that shows the dates of your active duty service. If selected, a DD-214 showing your type of discharge (member 4 copy) will be required prior to appointment. If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. Active Duty Military Personnel
- In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. This document must include rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge.College Transcripts:
Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!