Job Title:Interdisciplinary: General Engineer/Physical Scientist
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:DOE-NETL-14-DE-041
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, June 23, 2014 to
Friday, July 4, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|This is a full-time position. -
This is a permanent position.|
|2 vacancies in the following location(s):|
Albany, OR View Map
Pittsburgh, PA View Map
Morgantown, WV View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens |
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
We have two vacant positions that may be filled in Albany, OR; Morgantown, WV or Pittsburgh, PA.
This position is located in the Strategic Energy Analysis & Planning Division (SEAP), within the Director's Office of the National Energy Technology Laboratory. SEAP is responsible for providing forward-looking analysis of novel technology trends, economic and market developments, and assessments of environmental issues and industrial concerns. SEAP focuses on fossil energy, electricity and fuels markets, analyzing the entire energy value chain, from primary energy extraction through conversion to distribution and end-use. SEAP therefore deploys an interdisciplinary analytical staff composed of engineers, economists, and scientists. A successful candidate for this position will perform a variety of technical tasks in support of the NETL mission of developing technology to enhance energy security and resolve environmental issues involving the use of fossil energy.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required for this position and may include travel to all NETL locations.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a General Engineer/Physical Scientist, you will:
Adapt engineering and economic principles to life cycle analysis methodology.
Identify, plan, organize, and prepare reports and presentations that document and transfer results and interpretation of policy analyses, process/system studies and Research, Development & Demonstration efforts.
Monitor NETL contractors conducting policy support, systems and cost studies and ensure that technical and economic results of their work are valid and applicable to NETL programs.
Support NETL product teams through technical analysis, situation analysis, program planning, strategic planning, analysis of trends, and programmatic gap analysis.
Conduct special analyses to provide independent economic and technical appraisals of existing and proposed scenarios for U.S. fossil energy supply, delivery, and use.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In addition to the education requirements, you must have at least one year of professional experience in a field appropriate to the specialization for which you are applying, which was comparable in level of responsibility and difficulty to that of the GS-12 level in the Federal Service.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience for this position includes experience in all of the following: constructing, executing, and interpreting environmental and economic life cycle analyses on energy systems; constructing, executing and interpreting energy technology assessments; writing reports and/or preparing journal articles explaining methods and interpreting results of technical work; delivering oral presentations defending the methods and results of technical work.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Knowledge of engineering and scientific principles, theories and practices involving energy extraction, conversion, and end-use technologies.
- Skill in applying life cycle analysis methodology to energy systems analysis.
- Skill in written and oral communication conveying complex technical and economic problems.
- Skill in organizing information from sources such as system and economic studies, subsystem evaluations, or other technical sources.
EDUCATION: Education requirements can be viewed at OPM's website—Professional Engineering; General Physical Sciences.
There is an education requirement that must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
- This position is included in the bargaining unit.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- Return to USAJOBS and log in.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Now" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed to the application where you can make changes or you can click "Withdraw Application" to delete your application.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.