Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Qualification (OPM) Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on OPM's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
This position has a positive education requirement, transcripts must be submitted. CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Basic Requirements: A. Degree: Biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, or at least 30 semester hours in courses, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Experience: Four years of experience that demonstrated that the applicant acquired knowledge and understanding of one or more of the biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, or related disciplines equivalent to that which would have been acquired through completion of a 4-year course of study as described in A above.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
NOTE: Your resume must document specialized experience and support your responses to the vacancy questions.
IN ADDITION TO THE BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS applicants must posses one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
To Qualify at the ZP-5 or GS-15:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the (ZP-4 or GS-14) is defined as experience:
- Coordinating agency functions with external stakeholders, such as fishery management councils, to include facilitating and directing staff level coordination, guiding adherence to established processes for regulatory development and approval, aligning priorities, and working through all types of problems of common concern.
- Developing and implementing fisheries/natural resource management policy and regulations under Federal or State Laws, to include leading public hearings and/or organizational meetings that require utilizing adept interpersonal and communication skills to discuss controversial and complex issues.
- Providing leadership in the workplace (e.g. providing guidance, coaching, mentoring, or direct oversight to staff to ensure effective teamwork, accountability, and quality work product within agreed upon schedules).
- Developing and evaluating correspondence, regulatory documents, briefings, and presentation materials for quality, accuracy, and consistency that reflect senior staff or management positions and policies that are of a complex or sensitive nature.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of the three pre-defined categories. The categories are “gold”, “silver” and “bronze”. However, your resume or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates place in the “gold” category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligible with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold) depending on the position and grade level of the job. For more information on Category Rating, please go to (insert website).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
To preview questions please click here.
- Skill in management, supervision, organizational leadership, and interpersonal communications
- Knowledge of strategic plans, budget projects, and recruitment/retention of staff
- Knowledge of fisheries policies and regulations.
- Ability and skill to follow established procedures and protocol and draft well written documentation supporting federal decision making
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Skill in communicating complex and sometimes technical program information both in person and in writing to a variety of audiences.