Screen Out: To qualify for this position, your resume must indicate your overall knowledge, skills and ability and/or training to independently perform the duties of a Boatswain, WJ-5788-05 as stated in the duties of the position without more than normal supervision. There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the work of the position without more than normal supervision.
Competency: You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
· Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
· Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
· Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading).
· Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment.
Selective Factor: Must provide copy of your active MMD/MMC and TWIC with resume, failure to do so will result in application package being rated as incomplete.
This position requires you to possess and maintain a current/valid USCG Merchant Mariners Document (MMD) / Credential (MMC ) with an Able Body Seaman endorsement. (Must provide copy of MMD/MMC with resume, failure to do so will result in application package being rated as incomplete).
This position requires you to possess and maintain a current/valid Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) for the duration of your employment.
Physical Effort: Moderate to heavy lifting is typically required.
Must possess sufficient agility to climb ladders in all sea conditions and to
work in close quarters.
Working Conditions: Works mostly outside exposed to various weather
conditions. Possibility of falling or slipping on wet decks, ladders, etc.
Possibility of drowning exists in the case of collision or more especially,
when working over the side. Subject to dust, grease and soiling of clothing and
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement
for Selective Service
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must undergo a pre-employment physical and annually thereafter.
- This is a Designated Drug Testing position.
- Must undergo a pre-employment background check.
- Must possess and submit a current welding certification with application (if available) Or be willing to undergo and pass a
proficiency examination administered by Army Corps of Engineers.
- Regular tour of duty is 15 consecutive work days, followed by 13 days off.
- While the dredge is operating, subsistence and quarters are provided free of charge.
- Transportation to and from the dredge is at the employees expense.
- Residence on aboard the dredge during the work period is a requirement.
- Schedule tour of duty will require evenings, weekends and holiday work hours.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.