About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
This person will make management decisions regarding the management and administration of the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Branch within the region. This position starts at a salary of $115,613 (GS-14). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Regional Offices, Region 9, Mitigation Division, Hazard Mitigation Assistance Branch within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will serve as the Branch Chief to the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Branch within the Mitigation Division of the Regional Office. This person is responsible for a broad range of managerial authority to determine and allocate resources, to plan, direct and supervise; and to make management decisions regarding the management and administration of the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), Flood Mitigation Assistance Program (FMA), Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program (PDM), Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) and Repetitive Flood Claims (RFC) within the region. Typical assignments include:
- Exercise a broad range of managerial authorities and responsibilities for all professional and support staff of the branch in planning and executing the programs.
- Support the implementation of policies, regulations and guidance to reduce long term risks from hazards and their effects.
- Build partnerships with States, Tribes, Locals and other entities with natural hazards risk reduction responsibilities.
- Assures that all grants issued are in conformance with Federal, state and local laws and regulations authorizing the grants program and are consistent with state, tribal and local plan goals. Ensures consistency with environmental and historic preservation requirements.
- Provides comprehensive advice to the Division Director and/or Regional Administrator regarding operations and functions of the HMA grant programs.