1. Degree in museum work; or in an applicable subject-matter field related to the position. OR
2. Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
3. Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study as shown in #1above.
In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, You Qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as researching, collecting, and exhibiting material culture related to history of American science or medicine. This experience is demonstrated through a range of research products such as scholarly articles, teaching, lectures, oral histories, archival holding, museum collections, exhibitions, and/or public programming.
Education cannot be substituted for the required specialized experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA): If you applying as for a VEOA appointment, you must be a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: The following links contain information on the eligibility requirements to be considered under a noncompetitive appointing authority:
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS: Applicants who are referred to the selecting official may be required to make a presentation.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
BASIS OF RATING:
- Knowledge of American history and the history of American science or medicine, including the objects, systems, and historical contexts and the interplay among them.
- Knowledge of and experience in personnel management to help staff balance collections, research, exhibitions, and education assignments.
- Knowledge and experience in developing recommendations and scholarly emphases in museum planning in order to evaluate relevance and quality of staff research and publications and to lead the development of historical interpretation in exhibitions.
- Skill in researching, writing, and speaking about research to scholarly and public audiences.
Once the announcement closes, your application will be automatically evaluated and rated by the system and a Human Resources Specialist
. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your application and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of this position. If, after the Human Resources Specialist
reviews your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that the score you have received is not a true reflection of your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect the information you provided that support your abilities
. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.