Job Title:Student Trainee (Human Resources)
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Job Announcement Number:PATHIMR-APHIS-2014-0072
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Thursday, June 19, 2014 to
Wednesday, June 25, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|2 vacancies -
Minneapolis, MN View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
Students who are currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program.
About the Agency
This is a temporary Pathways Internship Program appointment not-to-exceed September 30, 2014. The anticipated hours are full-time, but may be reduced to part-time in the fall dependent on the students class schedule and availability.
This position is located in the Human Resources Division, Marketing and Regulatory Programs - Business Services, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Applicants must be available to work a regular schedule when classes are in session as well as during scheduled breaks.
The Pathways Internship Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Proof of student status must be submitted with the application.
- All applicants must be in good academic standing.
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides assistance to higher level human resources staff by performing work as assigned.
- Performs various types of data entry in the HR systems and other databases using existing forms.
- Prepares human resources documents for data entry into the HR systems.
- Receives and files correspondence, records, reports, and other material.
- Uses word processing equipment to produce various documents such as correspondence, reports, performance contracts, permits, manuals, etc.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks such as validating and processing documents which pertain to the organization's work, assembling information, preparing reports, gathering current data, etc.
- Schedules appointments and makes meeting arrangements in accordance with instructions from the supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below.
GS-4: Completion of 2 full academic years (60 semester or 90 quarter hours) of post-high school study or an associate's degree.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.edu.gov/.
- If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to entrance on duty.
- A Pathways Participant Agreement will be required if you are selected for a position. The agreement must be signed by all applicable parties prior to entrance on duty.
- Satisfactory completion and favorable adjudication of a background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Schedule will be determined when student is selected: Hours of work will typically be between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- This Internship confers eligibility for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position in the competitive service contingent upon meeting all applicable Internship Program requirements and the needs of the agency. You will be considered for conversion to a permanent or term position upon the successful completion of your Internship. However, please note that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the agency will opt for conversion.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To view the application form, visit: https://aphis.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=6bc76857-0be7-4b08-894a-a34d00bd08f9
BENEFITS:Back to top
This position does not confer all of the benefits usually associated with the competitive service such as tenure and transfer and privileges. However, the selectee will be entitled to sick and annual leave accrual. Eligibility for retirement benefits, health insurance and life insurance is determined on a case by case basis.
- More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form 1-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS 'E-VERIFY' system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.