Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the principal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the second largest investigative agency in the Federal government. For additional information about ICE and career opportunities go to http://www.ice.gov.
ICE is seeking bright, innovative, results-oriented individuals to join our Pathways Internship Program. The Pathways Internship Program targets students accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program (diploma, certificate, etc.) in an accredited/qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (applicants who do not meet the definition of "student" will not be considered). This internship is for students who can commit to working year-round. Interns may work full-time or part-time schedules. At the successful conclusion of this program, you may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a federal career or career-conditional position as a Criminal Investigator. The Criminal Investigator position is a law enforcement position that requires you to carry a firearm. Upon conversion you will be required to attend the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Georgia, for a period of 22 weeks.
Who May Apply:
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
Organizational Location: This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, Boston, MA; Buffalo, NY; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI; Miami, FL; Newark, NJ; New York, NY; San Juan, PR; Fairfax, VA; El Paso, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Honolulu, HI; Houston, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Orange County, CA; Phoenix, Ventura County, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Flagstaff, AZ; San Antonio, TX; Austin, TX; Laredo, TX; Brownsville, TX; Fresno, CA; Bakersfield, CA; Seattle, WA; Blaine, WA; and Saint Paul, MN. Please note that these locations are temporary and pertain to the completion of the Internship only. Upon conversion and completion of the Criminal Investigator Training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Georgia, candidates will be reassigned to their permanent duty locations, primarily along the Southwest Border, or as determined by the needs of the agency.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
As a Student Trainee (Criminal Investigator) you will perform the following duties:
- Participate in and obtain knowledge of arrest techniques and defensive tactics in a training setting.
- Receive instruction on the safe handling and use of handguns and long weapons in a training setting.
- Assist with surveillance support activities by conducting low-risk (non-enforcement/information gathering only), street surveillances and monitoring electronic surveillance equipment.
- During coordinated enforcement actions, assist Special Agents with performing law enforcement database queries, entering subject/target information into law enforcement databases, and assembling arrest/removal packets for documentation.
- Assist in reviewing case data to find links with non-associated cases/investigations/initiatives, and produce reports for the Case Agent/Program Manager that details the linkages and findings.