About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Reservist Program. This is a 2 year appointment in the Excepted Service. Employment is on an intermittent basis.
The Media Relations Specialist (MRSP) provides subject matter expertise in media relations. Primary duties include the following:
- Develops and maintains media lists and update them as needed;
- Disseminates information to media representatives;
- Serves as a FEMA spokesperson for field interviews;
- Contacts media to clarify “rapid response” issue(s) as assigned;
- Supports media interviews of External Affairs Officer, Federal Coordinating Officer, Regional Administrator, Program Specialist, and other FEMA subject matter experts;
- Supports field requests for special media events, including editorial boards, VIP visits, and press conferences, as directed;
- Reports media relations activity to immediate supervisor;
- Operates the news desk;
- Plans and coordinates special events;
- Develops an implementation plan and schedule for special events as needed; and
- Communicates effectively as a multilingual MRSP.