Job Title:Information Technology Specialist - DEU
Agency:Federal Trade Commission
Job Announcement Number:OED-CIO-2014-0003
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, June 13, 2014 to
Monday, June 30, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time Competitive Service -
This is a permanent appointment.|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All Qualified Candidates|
Please note: If you would like to be considered under the Merit Promotion process please apply to vacancy announcement number OED-CIO-2014-0004.
About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of the Executive Director (OED), Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Information Assurance Branch (IAB). This Branch is responsible for managing the agency’s Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) process which protects the availability, confidentiality, and integrity of FTC’s information and information assets. The OCIO continually seeks to improve the Information Assurance Program and comply with OMB Circular A-130, Appendix III security requirements.
The incumbent is responsible for developing policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data. The incumbent reports to the Assistant Director of the Branch.
- This position requires U.S. citizenship.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship.
- This position is included in the bargaining unit.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Serves as a technical expert and consultant to FTC OCIO management and staff on IT security and risk management; identifies IT risks and evaluates key technologies; analyzes the impact of various risk mitigation strategies in close partnership with the system owner; translate regulatory requirements into tangible system requirements for the adoption of security standards; and supports the design, implementation and maintenance of secure and compliant systems. Develops strategies to identify security improvements and cost reduction opportunities; and evaluate and recommend and manage implementation of new or enhanced approaches to delivering FTC OCIO IT security and risk mitigation services.
- Ensures compliance with the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)
- Develops policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data;
- Conducts risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs;
- Promotes awareness of security issues among management and ensuring sound security principles are reflected in organizations’ visions and goals;
- Conducts systems security evaluations, audits, and reviews;
- Develops systems security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures;
- Develops and implements programs to ensure that systems, network, and data users are aware of, understand, and adhere to systems security policies and procedures;
- Participates in network and systems design to ensure implementation of appropriate systems security policies;
- Facilitates the gathering, analysis, and preservation of evidence used in the prosecution of computer crimes;
- Assesses security events to determine impact and implementing corrective actions; and/or
- Ensures the rigorous application of information security/ information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of all IT services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below AND specialized experience.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
All applicants must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service which has provided them with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
At the GS-09 level, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in Federal Service OR a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree. At the GS-11 level, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in Federal Service OR a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. Specialized experience is defined as experience which is directly related to the position being filled and which has equipped the candidate with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Specialized experience includes experience ensuring application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices.
At the GS-11 level, applicants must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal service which has provided the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position or Ph.D, or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
At the GS-12 level, applicants must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service which has provided them with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position.
As the GS-13 level, applicants must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service which has provided them with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate knowledge of the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) and Information Assurance, demonstrated by assignments where the applicant analyzed proposed software and hardware solutions and advised management concerning IT security issues.
Note: Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
All applications must be received on-line via www.usajobs.gov
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
For information on how FTC determines the best qualified candidates click here.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Individuals applying for this announcement are required to complete and submit an online application through the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) application system, USAJOBS. The information you provide in USAJOBS is general information completed by all candidates. That information and your resume will become part of your application and will automatically be transferred to FT-SEE when you apply online. The submission of anything other than the below online application will result in you not being considered for this job.
If applying online poses a hardship to any applicant, please contact us. Applicants must contact us at 202-326-2021 prior to the closing date to speak to someone who can provide assistance for online submission. Requests for extensions will not be granted.
There are several parts of the application process that will affect your overall evaluation:
1. Your online resume (See Step 1 below).
2. Your responses to the eligibility questions.
3. Your responses to the vacancy specific self-assessment questions.
4. Submission of supporting documentation (See instructions under the "Required Documentation" section of this posting.
You have until 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement to complete the following four-step application process:
STEP 1: To apply, you must first register on USAJOBS at www.usajobs.opm.gov and have at least one resume associated with your account. Your online resume must be built using the USAJOBS resume builder or you can upload an existing resume from your computer. You must submit a resume to be considered for this position. Once you have completed the registration process, thoroughly review this vacancy announcement and then select the "Apply Online" button and follow the instructions provided.
STEP 2: After selecting a resume to submit with your application package, you will be taken to FT-SEE to answer questions related to your experience and vacancy specific questions. The answers to the questions are necessary to evaluate your qualifications for the specific job to which you are applying. When completed, the information you provided through USAJOBS and the answers to the FT-SEE questions will become your application.
STEP 3: Review your resume to make certain that it supports your responses to the questions. Once you submit your online application, you will see a screen telling you that your application has been successfully transmitted. If you do not receive this confirmation, you have not successfully completed your application.
STEP 4: Submit Supporting Documentation, as necessary.
NOTE: Paper applications and information sent by mail WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
To help you ensure your application fully outlines your qualifications and eligibility for this position, please submit the following documentation as appropriate. Some of the items listed may not apply to you.
APPLICATION PACKAGE CHECKLIST
__ Announcement number, title, and grade(s) of the position
__ Full name, mailing address (including zip code) and day and evening phone numbers (with area code)
__ Statement that you are a U.S. citizen
__ Current Federal employees serving on a competitive career or career conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible must submit a copy of their most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50).
__Copy of DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) (only if claiming veteran's preference)
__SF-15 (Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference) plus the support documentation required by this form (if claiming 10-point veteran's preference)
__ Paid and non-paid work experience related to the position. For each period of Work experience include:
___Series/grade (if Federal employment)
___Duties and accomplishments
___Employer's name and address
___Supervisor's name and contact information
___Starting and ending dates of employment (month/day/year)
___Number of hours worked per week
___Indicate if we may contact current supervisor/employer
___Other job related information, such as training courses (title & year); skills (e.g., other languages, computer software/hardware, tools, etc.)
___Honors, awards, and special accomplishments
___A Legible copy of college transcripts (if qualifying all or in part on the basis of Education for this position)
___Support documentation for eligibility for special hiring authorities, such as disability, Peace Corps service, etc.