About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Reservist Program. This is a 2 year appointment in the Excepted Service. Employment is on an intermittent basis.
The Tribal Affairs Specialist (TBSP) provides subject matter expertise in tribal affairs. Primary duties include the following:
- Conducts preliminary tribal research;
- Completes cultural competency research as directed and brief to appropriate audiences;
- Reviews the tribe’s profile and incident specifics;
- Makes initial contact to obtain an invitation from tribal officials;
- Creates and maintains a tribal activity contact log with all pertinent information;
- Conducts meetings with tribal officials as appropriate;
- Prepares and delivers a presentation at a tribal meeting (e.g. Tribal council, Business committee, Tribal subcommittee, and/or Tribal emergency manager); and
- Prepares communication in response to inquiries from or about tribes in coordination with appropriate leadership.