About the Agency
This position is located in the International Trade Administration’s (ITA) US and Foreign Commercial Service (US&FCS) Global Markets, U.S. Field office in Buffalo, New York.
USFCS and Global Markets assists companies through in-depth trade counseling and consulting, market intelligence, business matchmaking, trade advocacy, commercial diplomacy, and a variety of other trade promotion programs.
We are looking for a highly motivated trade specialist who will enjoy working in an exciting, mission-driven organization. This candidate will serve as a trade specialist in the Buffalo U. S. Export Assistance Center (USEAC), which covers the eight counties of Western NY. The trade specialist will be responsible for outreach and developing a local client base; managing all ITA programs and functions within the Western NY area; and working with companies and world-class public and private sector partners to enhance and further the goals and objectives of the agency. The ideal candidate will have experience in international trade and strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
This position is currently located in Buffalo, NY, but the territory includes the rural areas of Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Allegany, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua Counties. The Buffalo USEAC collaborates with the U.S. Export-Import Bank, the Small Business Administration, World Trade Center Buffalo Niagara, Buffalo World Trade Association, and local Economic Development Organizations, Small Business Development Centers, and Chambers of Commerce.
The position reports to the Buffalo USEAC Director and works closely with our other Upstate NY USEAC in Rochester, NY and our Syracuse Associate Office, all of which are part of the regional NortheEast Network.
This position is also being advertised under announcement number ITA-Field-2014-0066 (Open to status candidates). You must apply separately under each announcement to be considered for each announcement.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- This position will require completion of a moderate risk background investigation upon selection (Standard Form 86).
This vacancy may be used to fill other International Trade Specialist, GS-1140-9/13
positions throughout ITA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Plan, develop, and implement export programs and strategies for US companies
- Provide information on US Department of Commerce and other US government programs to support expanding trade,
- Assist US companies in identifying and exploring export opportunities in overseas markets.
- Respond to requests for information on market conditions, trade opportunities, and problems affecting trade in the region.
- Analyze trade statistics and contribute to market research efforts.
- Prepare summaries, articles, or short reports on current trade issues.
- Develop and maintain appropriate contacts with US industry, US Government agencies, and international organizations involved in international trade.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required. This position requires attendance at meetings and events; and client, partner, and congressional outreach in Western New York.