Job Title: Contract SpecialistJob Announcement Number: 1405027LBMP
Department: General Services Administration
Agency: Public Buildings Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, June 12, 2014 to
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
FEW vacancies -
Location Negotiable After Selection, United States
WHO MAY APPLY:
GSA employees employed in the Region 5, Public Buildings Service who are serving on career or career-conditional appointment, or under a noncompetitive special appointing authority providing for a permanent position. Employees serving on Schedule B, C, or D or Term Appointments are generally not eligible to apply.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
About the Agency
Note: Positions will be located at one of the existing R5 PBS Regional Office/Field Office Service Center locations. These positions are not full-time telework positions.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a Contract Specialist, you will serve as a warranted contracting officer, satisfying customer needs through the professional placement of Government contracts.
This position is located in the Region 5, PBS Acquisition Management Division. This division is responsible for providing acquisition policy guidance, oversight, and support to PBS organizations for services and construction acquisitions.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Occasional Travel
- Minimal travel
- Meet time-in-grade requirements within 30 days of closing date
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
You will serve as a contract specialist and warranted contracting officer, satisfying customer needs through the professional placement of Government contracts. You are responsible for the full range of preaward and postaward functions, e.g., price/cost analysis, negotiation, administration and termination in a regional Public Buildings Service organization. You will procure a wide range of real property related services such as new construction; building design; major repair and alteration projects; professional and/or specialized services such as architect-engineering, construction, management or commercial facilities management firms; telecommunications, information technology, hardware, software and technical services; operation, maintenance and/or replacement of complex mechanical systems and equipment, janitorial and guard services, real estate brokerage and appraisal, space planning, public utilities, asbestos abatement and other health and safety related services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-11 salary range starts at $57,982 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify for the GS-11, all candidates must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service and must either meet the Basic Requirements or Exception listed below.
Specialized experience for the GS-11 level is experience that provided knowledge of formal advertising and negotiated procurement procedures sufficient to develop solicitations, evaluate offers, negotiate prices and terms and recommend award of contracts for a range of standard or specialized supplies or services; or knowledge of contracting principles and procedures sufficient to administer contracts for a range of standard or specialized supplies or services.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: In addition to the specialized experience, applicants must have a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major in any field; or at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
EXCEPTION: Employees in GS-1102 positions will be considered to have met the standard for positions they occupied on January 1, 2000. Employees who occupied GS-1102 positions at grades 5 through 12 will be considered to meet the basic requirements for other GS-1102 positions up to and including those classified at GS-12. This includes positions at other agencies and promotions up through grade 12. However, employees must meet specialized experience requirements when seeking another position.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
For the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree (such as an LL.M.) may be substituted for one year of specialized experience.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on length and level of experience. Therefore, in addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours per week if part time. Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a “Declaration of Federal Employment” (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Complete an OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, and obtain approval that no conflict or an appearance of conflict exists between your financial interest and this position.
- Undergo a background investigation and receive favorable adjudication. This position has been designated as a Public Trust Position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self-assessment vacancy questions will be used to assign a numerical score. If your responses to the vacancy questions are not supported by your resume then your score may be adjusted lower by the Human Resources Specialist. Scores are not augmented by Veteran’s preference points for this type of announcement (Merit Promotion).
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of contracting procedures, types, and methods, including formal advertising, negotiation, fixed-price, cost contracting, and use of special provisions and incentives to plan and carry out pre-award and post-award contracting assignments.
- Knowledge of cost and price analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of negotiation techniques and skill in devising negotiation strategies to deal with contractors in negotiating offers up to the point of award and resolving post-award changes.
- Knowledge of industry which manufactures assigned commodities or required services to determine sources of supply and analyze the effects on agency requirements of industrial developments, seasonal price trends, economic factors affecting supply, transportation costs, and availability of storage facilities.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures to plan and carry out a full range of contract administration functions relating to basic ordering agreements, term contracts, multi-year contracts with cost reimbursement provisions, incentive contracts, and firm fixed-price contracts.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. CTAP To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Bargaining Unit status: NFFE
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
If you are selected for this position at a grade lower than the full performance level, you may be promoted up to that grade level without further competition in accordance with all applicable regulations. However, promotions are not guaranteed and are dependent on performance.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. A description of the online process is provided below. For more information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. Once you have completed this step, select "Apply for this Position Now!"
- Complete your personal information within GSAjobs. Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information. This information is used to determine your eligibility to apply for this position so be sure that it is up to date.
- Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.
- Submit any required documents. A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Review the Required Documents section of this announcement to determine which apply to you. You may choose one of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload; USAJOBS, or FAX. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- Respond to any Additional Assessment Questions. If you are presented with additional assessment questions, be sure to respond to them or you may not be considered.
- Click the "FINISH' button. Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to complete and submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.CTAP
Eligible: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.College Transcripts:
Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If selected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!