Basic requirements: English Language proficiency required: Applicants must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d). ( No person that is not proficient in spoken and written English will be appointed under authority of 38 U.S.C. Chapter 73 or 74 to serve in a direct patient-care capacity).
GS-5: (Full performance Level) Specialized Experience: The candidate must have one (1) year of specialized experience that demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work of a Medical Support Assistant. Examples of specialized experience is work in a medical facility, hospital, doctors office, outpatient or specialty clinic performing duties such as scheduling, cancelling and rescheduling patients appointments, preparing for clinics visits, verifying and updating patient demographic and insurance information, providing customer service to patients and visitors, entering data and completing encounter forms, answering routine questions and providing information to patients, performs data collection, entry and retrieval for evaluation and validation and reports purposes. Knowledge of privacy act regulations and release of information requirements. OR Education Substitution: Four (4) years of education above high school level with courses that would provide the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the work of this position.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to operate computerized programs and databases in order to enter, modify and retrieve sensitive information/data into or from electronic medical records, scheduling systems and/or reports.
2. Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
3. Ability to make appointments in a clinical setting.
4. Ability to work independently in the accomplishment of a wide variety of duties, including setting priorities and coordinating work.
5. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with employees at varying grade levels.
6. Ability to identify customers concerns, perform the task required to resolve the issue accurately and timely, and follow-up as necessary to ensure a satisfactory resolution.
GS-4 (Development level). One (1) year of experience in clerical or office work that demonstrates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. OR Education Substitution: Two (2) years of education above high school.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to meet, communicate and interact with individuals from varying backgrounds and other health acre team members in a courteous and helpful manner in order to complete job assistant.
2. Ability to use various types of office automation equipment and software.
3. Ability to set up, organize and maintain record systems.
GS-3 (Entry level). Six (6) months of experience in clerical or office work that demonstrates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. OR Education Substitution: One (1) year education above high school level. At this entry level equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for which education and experience are acceptable.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the United States Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards your qualifications for this position. You can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Qualified candidates referred for consideration will be interviewed using the Performance Based Interview (PBI) Process. For information about PBI, you may access www.va.gov/pbi/pbisite2.htm.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Complete application packages will be reviewed to determine if the basic qualifications for this position have been met. A listing of candidates who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the hiring facility where the credentialing and privileging screening process is completed.