About the Agency
This position is located in Fossil Energy's (FE) Office of Petroleum Reserves (OPR), Planning and Engineering Office. The Office of OPR provides program direction for the establishment, management, and maintenance of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which is the world's largest supply of emergency crude oil that is stored in huge underground salt caverns along the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico.
A successful candidate in this position will:
- Serve as the Office of Petroleum Reserves (OPR) program authority for the direction and implementation of security programs and initiatives for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve(SPR) and Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve (NEHHOR).
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, standards, and methods.
As a security specialist, you will:
- Serve as the OPR technical expert and primary point-of-contact for providing guidance to Headquarters and field site offices on security administration for petroleum storage and distribution program operations; responsible for interpreting, developing, implementing, and/or administering policy and guidance for/to management officials and other security specialists within the OPR and field sites; and ensures that organization personnel are adhering to established Federal, state, local, and DOE/FE policies and practices for field site security activities.
- Develop, implement, and monitor policies, instructions, procedures, control systems, and coordinate activities relating to classification, declassification, and protection of classified national defense and other sensitive information originated or controlled by the OPR and the PMO.
- Develop classification guides, classified document marking, safeguarding, personnel access controls; need to know criteria; physical storage and control; security education; and transmitting, transferring, reproducing, downgrading, and destroying information.
- Prepare responses to Congressional and other public inquiries regarding OPR safeguards and security issues; prepares and/or directs the preparation of Congressional testimony for senior leadership related to safeguards and security activities for OPR and field sites.
- Develop and present briefings to the Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy and other OPR senior management with current information on the status of safeguards and security at selected field facilities and presents and communicates the OPR position regarding Presidential Decision Directives, including PDD-39 which addresses U.S. policy on counter terrorism and appropriate means to deter and respond to terrorist acts.
- Represent OPR at and participates in technical forums, interagency meetings, workshops, national conferences, etc., to formulate policy positions and national level strategies for security issues impacting OPR's facilities/assets, coordinate joint Federal and/or State programs covering a broad spectrum of technical activities in facility management and safeguards and security, influence and maintain awareness of other Federal agency plans and activities impacting DOE and OPR programs
- Be involved in the Continuity of Operations Program (COOP) for the OPR Headquarters and the PMO New Orleans Offices. Serves as backup to FE's COOP program coordinator. Involved in the planning and implementation of FE COOP Plan in accordance with DOE guidance; serve on the PR team with FE and SPR/PMO field and determining continuity of operation's requirements and preparedness responsibilities involving PR essential systems and vital information.
- Occasional Travel
- 7-8 per annum