Job Title: Security SpecialistJob Announcement Number: DOE-HQ-FE-14-00138-CR
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
Hiring Organization: Office of Fossil Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 to
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
1 vacancy -
District of Columbia, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All U.S. Citizens
This position is also advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, vacancy # DOE-HQ-FE-14-00138-MP.
Q - Sensitive
About the Agency
This position is located in Fossil Energy's (FE) Office of Petroleum Reserves (OPR), Planning and Engineering Office. The Office of OPR provides program direction for the establishment, management, and maintenance of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which is the world's largest supply of emergency crude oil that is stored in huge underground salt caverns along the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico.
A successful candidate in this position will:
- Serve as the Office of Petroleum Reserves (OPR) program authority for the direction and implementation of security programs and initiatives for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve(SPR) and Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve (NEHHOR).
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, standards, and methods.
- Occasional Travel
- 7-8 per annum
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a security specialist, you will:
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Developing classification guides, classified document marking, safeguarding personnel access controls; need to know criteria; physical storage and control; security education; and transmitting, transferring, reproducing, downgrading, and destroying information.
- Developing, implementing, and monitoring policies, instructions, procedures, control systems, and coordinating activities relating to classification, declassification, and protection of classified national defense and other sensitive information.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Knowledge of general security administration programs.
- Ability to perform security program requirements.
- Knowledge of safeguards and security programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
For this position, education cannot be substituted for experience.
- Eligible candidates for this position must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
- This position has been designated a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to testing for illegal drug use. The selectee must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass or refusal to take subsequent tests could result in non-selection or disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- THIS POSITION IS COVERED IN THE BARGAINING UNIT UNDER NTEU.
- A DOE career status employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one (1) year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
- All supplemental documentation MUST be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
- Applicants MUST meet ALL eligibility and qualification requirements by the c losing date of the announcement.
- IF SELECTED FOR THIS VACANCY, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO FILE THE OGE FORM 450 (FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE STATEMENT).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- Return to USAJOBS and log in.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Now" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed to the application where you can make changes or you can click "Withdraw Application" to delete your application.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours of 8:30-5:00
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- If specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.